Old 18-05-2009, 05:41 AM
Registered User

Default New house, old tired lawn?

Hi All,
I have just moved house in Northumberland and the lawn has seen better days, do I start again by removing the old turf and buying new? Or can it be repaired, with TLC?
The lawn is patchy and has quite a few dandelions and other weeds interspersed over it?
What do you recommend?
Thanks six0
Old 19-05-2009, 04:54 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

--
six0

I'd start with a soil test. You can pick one up at any home center.
Get your ph right, maybe some lime. then I'd spray a little weed b
gone. get rid of those nasty dandelions and other weeds. then, a
little Scott's turf builder and see where you are from there. if your
still a little patchy this fall, a little overseeding with a slit
seeder works great for the spring. I'm actually a little envious that
you have a new canvas to start painting. good luck
Old 19-05-2009, 05:16 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On 5/17/2009 11:41 PM, six0 wrote:
Hi All,
I have just moved house in Northumberland and the lawn has seen better
days, do I start again by removing the old turf and buying new? Or can
it be repaired, with TLC?
The lawn is patchy and has quite a few dandelions and other weeds
interspersed over it?

When I bought my house, I had a lawn that was probably 40% weeds,
including creeping charlie (or something really similar to it), and lots
of dandelions.

I did a general weed b gone, but of course that only killed the
dandelions and some of the other common weeds. I had to manually get
down on my hands and knees and physically remove the creeping charlie
(some of the tendrils were 3-4 feet long!).

A little bit of seed in the now bare patches, and by the following
summer, my lawn appeared to be about 95% grass. This spring, I did
general feed, and have been spot treating any weeds that get too large
for their own good. My lawn in general seems to be much happier that
that situation. (I stressed it the prior year by multiple weed b gone
applications the summer before).
Old 22-05-2009, 03:13 AM
Registered User

You are doing okay by weeding and feeding but you need to top dress, with composted cow manure, the lawn after aerating in the fall because weeds generally grow in poor soil so you need to build up the organic matter.
Old 25-05-2009, 03:42 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullthistle View Post
You are doing okay by weeding and feeding but you need to top dress, with composted cow manure, the lawn after aerating in the fall because weeds generally grow in poor soil so you need to build up the organic matter.
thanks for the information, plenty to be getting on with then.
six0