Old 20-05-2009, 07:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bob[_1_] bob[_1_] is offline

Default standard and bush rose pruning - help needed

Last year I pruned these with care (but near-zero expertise) and
rather later than I should and they all seemed to respond ok.

This year, based on often-read advice that it pays not to be too
trepidatious I decided to cut them back hard. They've all come back
with a vengeance, with 60% of the new growth where I would like it (at
a reasonable height and giving the plants reasonable shape) but with
the other 40% producing new extremely vigorous and absurdly long stems
which really spoil the appearance of the roses.

Any advice at this stage? They'll be flowering soon.

Which books/guides have others found to be useful generally for
rose-pruning. Preferably aimed at the ungifted.