Old 20-05-2009, 09:03 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Rodney Pont[_3_] Rodney Pont[_3_] is offline

Default Bio sludge control and UV sterilizers mutally exclusive?

On Wed, 20 May 2009 09:57:46 EDT, Elizabeth wrote:

It worked beautifully to clear up my spring greenies quickly. Question is,
can I use the Bio sludge control with the UV light? I'm concerned that it
will kill the (bacteria? enzymes?) in the solution. The UV could be
unplugged if needed.

Yes you should be fine. The UV is only strong enough to clump the
floating algae that cause green water, it isn't strong enough to kill
much bacteria in the water column. I'll add usually because in a pond
your size you would need a 2Kw UV but I doubt if it's that large :-)

Is this your first/only filter? It will take out the floating things
that block your vision but you will need to clean it when the flow
falls. Be aware also that the UV tube looses efficiency and the bulb
needs changing about once a year, you also need to clean the shroud
once in a while to allow the light through.

Best of luck.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont