Old 20-05-2009, 11:17 PM
beccabunga beccabunga is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob[_1_] View Post
Last year I pruned these with care (but near-zero expertise) and
rather later than I should and they all seemed to respond ok.

This year, based on often-read advice that it pays not to be too
trepidatious I decided to cut them back hard. They've all come back
with a vengeance, with 60% of the new growth where I would like it (at
a reasonable height and giving the plants reasonable shape) but with
the other 40% producing new extremely vigorous and absurdly long stems
which really spoil the appearance of the roses.

Any advice at this stage? They'll be flowering soon.

Which books/guides have others found to be useful generally for
rose-pruning. Preferably aimed at the ungifted.
Once they have flowered, cut back those stems to an outward facing bud.

As to the new long growths, do they come from the old stems or from the base?