Old 21-05-2009, 03:43 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Kurt[_2_] Kurt[_2_] is offline

Default Bio sludge control and UV sterilizers mutally exclusive?

In article ,
"Elizabeth" wrote:

Hi folks,
It's been awhile since I was around. It's great to see so many familiar
names still active. My name is Elizabeth and I'm a ponder in South
Louisiana. My pond is about 2000 gallons, has waterlilies and goldfish,
frogs and snakes (and an occasional puppy). No bottom drain installed,
sludge build up on bottom is about two inches deep.
Water quality is rock solid. pH 7.9, KH 240, GH 120, NO3 & NO4 nonexistant.
Reasonably clear, the bottom (20") is visible with a small amount of
particulate in the water column. I've never been obsessive about crystal
clear water as long as the fish are visible. Crystal generally only happens
here in the middle of winter when the water is cold.
Traditionally, I have used manual cleaning methods combined with Bio Sludge
Controls to keep the crud to manageable levels. Earlier this spring I found
a submersible pump/filter/UV sterilizer at clearance pricing that I couldn't
resist :-)
It worked beautifully to clear up my spring greenies quickly. Question is,
can I use the Bio sludge control with the UV light? I'm concerned that it
will kill the (bacteria? enzymes?) in the solution. The UV could be
unplugged if needed.
Thanks for your help. It's great to see everybody,

elizabeth

I'd just make sure the UV is not one that sits in the filter. Mine is
inline before the filter.