Old 21-05-2009, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim Jesson Tim Jesson is offline

Default Why are seeds so reluctant to grow?

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Tim Jesson" wrote
after Nick wrote in reply to Tm Jesson

Runner beans are the most hideous foodstuff known to man :-) Can't
understand how anyone could eat them! Pray they don't germinate
and
sow a nice alternative instead?? ...

Try picking them younger :-) They start off rough and dark green,
and lighten as they get older, and they should be picked BEFORE
they
do that. Typically not more than 6" long.

I agree that older runner beans are not worth eating, though they
are good as dried beans.

It's no use Nick! This inbuilt prejudice took years to develop! I
often have the tender ones in a salad but not if I prepare it
myself!

As far as I'm concerned the only good seed is still in a packet.

I'll have to have another go sometime. Maybe I'll leave a single
4ft row space for next year :-)

Perhaps you used the wrong variety originally?
We rather like "White Lady" as it is always tender.

Oh go on Bob, I'll give it a go :-)

TJ