Old 18-05-2009, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Why are seeds so reluctant to grow?

Kindest possible regards to you too Mike!

--
David in Normandy.
Old 18-05-2009, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , June Hughes
writes
In message , alan.holmes
writes

"moghouse" wrote in message
On May 17, 11:55 am, "alan.holmes"
wrote:
I've planted peas, parsnips and climbing french beans but nothing ahs
appeared, why is that?

I'm getting concerned that nothing I plant will grow!(:-(

Have you tried talking to them? Recommended by royalty!

I knew I was doing something wrong, but I doubt that I would have right
accent!(:-(

You have to be 'posh' don't you?

Alan

I talk to my fig tree and I'm not posh, Alan.

Sung
"I talk to the trees, - that's why they put me away".

*Spike Milligan.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 21-05-2009, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Tim Jesson" wrote
after Nick wrote in reply to Tm Jesson

Runner beans are the most hideous foodstuff known to man :-) Can't
understand how anyone could eat them! Pray they don't germinate
and
sow a nice alternative instead?? ...

Try picking them younger :-) They start off rough and dark green,
and lighten as they get older, and they should be picked BEFORE
they
do that. Typically not more than 6" long.

I agree that older runner beans are not worth eating, though they
are good as dried beans.

It's no use Nick! This inbuilt prejudice took years to develop! I
often have the tender ones in a salad but not if I prepare it
myself!

As far as I'm concerned the only good seed is still in a packet.

I'll have to have another go sometime. Maybe I'll leave a single
4ft row space for next year :-)

Perhaps you used the wrong variety originally?
We rather like "White Lady" as it is always tender.

Oh go on Bob, I'll give it a go :-)

TJ