Old 21-05-2009, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default We've grown a peanut!?

alan.holmes writes

"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 21 May 2009 15:30:05 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

Recently something, we assume it was a squirrel, got in the shed, attacked
the bird food peanuts, and buried them in anything which had compost in
it.
Today I found one we missed, and it's sprouted. I'd always assumed that
wouldn't happen. So, I've planted it up in a pot, and .... Now what?
Indoors/outdoors/greenhouse? any tips or advice welcome.

I grew a peanut in a pot indoors. It grew to about a foot high but
never flowered.

I didn't think they did flower, the nuts are grown under the soil, rather
like potatoes.

Not at all like potatoes!

The nuts are the seeds in the seed pod, so the plant flowers, then bends
its stems downwards so the seedpods are formed underground. It's a
member of the pea family.

Besides, even potatoes flower ;-)
--
Kay