Old 21-05-2009, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default We've grown a peanut!?

Recently something, we assume it was a squirrel, got in the shed, attacked
the bird food peanuts, and buried them in anything which had compost in it.
Today I found one we missed, and it's sprouted. I'd always assumed that
wouldn't happen. So, I've planted it up in a pot, and .... Now what?
Indoors/outdoors/greenhouse? any tips or advice welcome.

--
Steve

Never shake the ketchup bottle. None'll come, and then a lot'll

Old 21-05-2009, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 21 May 2009 15:30:05 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

Recently something, we assume it was a squirrel, got in the shed, attacked
the bird food peanuts, and buried them in anything which had compost in it.
Today I found one we missed, and it's sprouted. I'd always assumed that
wouldn't happen. So, I've planted it up in a pot, and .... Now what?
Indoors/outdoors/greenhouse? any tips or advice welcome.

I grew a peanut in a pot indoors. It grew to about a foot high but
never flowered.

Steve

Old 21-05-2009, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Old 21-05-2009, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Recently something, we assume it was a squirrel, got in the shed, attacked
the bird food peanuts, and buried them in anything which had compost in
it.
Today I found one we missed, and it's sprouted. I'd always assumed that
wouldn't happen. So, I've planted it up in a pot, and .... Now what?
Indoors/outdoors/greenhouse? any tips or advice welcome.

I grew a peanut in a pot indoors. It grew to about a foot high but
never flowered.

I didn't think they did flower, the nuts are grown under the soil, rather
like potatoes.

Alan

Old 21-05-2009, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

alan.holmes writes

.. .
wrote:

Recently something, we assume it was a squirrel, got in the shed, attacked
the bird food peanuts, and buried them in anything which had compost in
it.
Today I found one we missed, and it's sprouted. I'd always assumed that
wouldn't happen. So, I've planted it up in a pot, and .... Now what?
Indoors/outdoors/greenhouse? any tips or advice welcome.

I grew a peanut in a pot indoors. It grew to about a foot high but
never flowered.

I didn't think they did flower, the nuts are grown under the soil, rather
like potatoes.

Not at all like potatoes!

The nuts are the seeds in the seed pod, so the plant flowers, then bends
its stems downwards so the seedpods are formed underground. It's a
member of the pea family.

Besides, even potatoes flower ;-)
--
Kay

Old 21-05-2009, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Recently something, we assume it was a squirrel, got in the shed, attacked
the bird food peanuts, and buried them in anything which had compost in
it.
Today I found one we missed, and it's sprouted. I'd always assumed that
wouldn't happen. So, I've planted it up in a pot, and .... Now what?
Indoors/outdoors/greenhouse? any tips or advice welcome.

I grew a peanut in a pot indoors. It grew to about a foot high but
never flowered.

I didn't think they did flower, the nuts are grown under the soil, rather
like potatoes.

Alan

But potatoes flower!
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Old 22-05-2009, 08:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Recently something, we assume it was a squirrel, got in the shed, attacked
the bird food peanuts, and buried them in anything which had compost in it.
Today I found one we missed, and it's sprouted. I'd always assumed that
wouldn't happen. So, I've planted it up in a pot, and .... Now what?
Indoors/outdoors/greenhouse? any tips or advice welcome.

I'm half expecting our garden to be a forest of peanut plants.
The squirrel has got very good at removing the nut feeder and empty it
on the ground. He did two in about 2 minutes yesterday so to conserve
the last of the peanuts I've wired them on...
It's been well worth the cost of the peanuts to watch him batter the
birds who come down and try to pinch a nut off his collection.
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 22-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazzbat View Post
Recently something, we assume it was a squirrel, got in the shed, attacked
the bird food peanuts, and buried them in anything which had compost in it.
Today I found one we missed, and it's sprouted. I'd always assumed that
wouldn't happen. So, I've planted it up in a pot, and .... Now what?
Indoors/outdoors/greenhouse? any tips or advice welcome.
Google is your friend. Peanut growing project for children from BBC. http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to...plant-growing/
Advice from Which. http://www.which.co.uk/documents/pdf...ts--153967.pdf
It's an indoor project. Peanuts are cultivated in places with hot humid summers, or hot humid all the time, like Georgia (USA) where Jimmy Carter was a peanut farmer, West Africa, Indonesia, etc. The botanical evidence is that they are originally from northern Argentina, and it is a bit of a mystery how they apparently got to Africa before Europeans brought other South American crops there.