Old 22-05-2009, 11:50 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Ulysses Ulysses is offline

Default mower air filter

"Ryan P" wrote in message
On 5/22/2009 11:52 AM, KC wrote:

I gently wash mine in soapy water.

The outer foam filter that catches the big stuff can be washed easily
enough but the main filter that catches dust is pleated paper. The
dust is the consistency of talc so mixing it with water would clog the
pores of the filter.

You can purchase aftermarket covers that go around the outside of the
foam. They act as a pre-filter. Modern ATV's all have them now, and
they greatly help extend the life of a filter on dusty trails (like we
have up in the Crivitz area).

Perhaps this might be an option for lawn tractors, as well?

There should be something available. Some of my generators and mowers have
such a pre-filter. I have been blowing out dirty air cleaners from the
inside for many years and it doesn't seem to be a problem. I generally get
many more hours/miles from an engine than the supposed life expectancy.
Once or twice I have soaked a paper filter in gasoline if it had a lot of
oil on it from the crancase breather and then blew it out from the inside.