Old 22-05-2009, 01:44 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default mower air filter

I use a riding mower/garden tractor in an extemely dusty environment.
The manual states to not blow out the air filter since it could damage
it. Yet at $17 per filter, changing it after each mowing is out of
the question. So my question is that after careful blowing out the
filter from inside-to-outside, any guesses as to how many times I can
clean it before replacement?

KC
Old 22-05-2009, 03:47 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Pat Pat is offline

"KC" wrote in message
I use a riding mower/garden tractor in an extemely dusty environment.
The manual states to not blow out the air filter since it could damage
it. Yet at $17 per filter, changing it after each mowing is out of
the question. So my question is that after careful blowing out the
filter from inside-to-outside, any guesses as to how many times I can
clean it before replacement?

KC

I gently wash mine in soapy water.

Old 22-05-2009, 05:52 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On May 22, 9:47*am, "Pat" wrote:
"KC" wrote in message

I use a riding mower/garden tractor in an extemely dusty environment.
The manual states to not blow out the air filter since it could damage
it. *Yet at $17 per filter, changing it after each mowing is out of
the question. *So my question is that after careful blowing out the
filter from inside-to-outside, any guesses as to how many times I can
clean it before replacement?

KC

I gently wash mine in soapy water.

The outer foam filter that catches the big stuff can be washed easily
enough but the main filter that catches dust is pleated paper. The
dust is the consistency of talc so mixing it with water would clog the
pores of the filter.
KC
Old 22-05-2009, 06:39 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On 5/22/2009 11:52 AM, KC wrote:

I gently wash mine in soapy water.

The outer foam filter that catches the big stuff can be washed easily
enough but the main filter that catches dust is pleated paper. The
dust is the consistency of talc so mixing it with water would clog the
pores of the filter.

You can purchase aftermarket covers that go around the outside of the
foam. They act as a pre-filter. Modern ATV's all have them now, and
they greatly help extend the life of a filter on dusty trails (like we
have up in the Crivitz area).

Perhaps this might be an option for lawn tractors, as well?
Old 22-05-2009, 11:50 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Ryan P" wrote in message
On 5/22/2009 11:52 AM, KC wrote:

I gently wash mine in soapy water.

The outer foam filter that catches the big stuff can be washed easily
enough but the main filter that catches dust is pleated paper. The
dust is the consistency of talc so mixing it with water would clog the
pores of the filter.

You can purchase aftermarket covers that go around the outside of the
foam. They act as a pre-filter. Modern ATV's all have them now, and
they greatly help extend the life of a filter on dusty trails (like we
have up in the Crivitz area).

Perhaps this might be an option for lawn tractors, as well?

There should be something available. Some of my generators and mowers have
such a pre-filter. I have been blowing out dirty air cleaners from the
inside for many years and it doesn't seem to be a problem. I generally get
many more hours/miles from an engine than the supposed life expectancy.
Once or twice I have soaked a paper filter in gasoline if it had a lot of
oil on it from the crancase breather and then blew it out from the inside.

Old 23-05-2009, 09:25 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"KC" wrote in message
I use a riding mower/garden tractor in an extemely dusty environment.
The manual states to not blow out the air filter since it could damage
it.

Bullshit.

Yet at $17 per filter, changing it after each mowing is out of
the question.

You already know the answer to this question. The reason the manufacturer
doesn't want you to blow out the filter is that new ones are $17 a pop.
Same exact reason that inkjet printer manufacturers don't want you to refill
ink cartridges. You're gullible enough to believe that you shouldn't blow
out the air filter, just because it says not to in black and white in the
owner's manual.

So my question is that after careful blowing out the
filter from inside-to-outside, any guesses as to how many times I can
clean it before replacement?

Theoretically, one filter might last you long enough that the tractor will
retire or be sold/traded with the original filter in it. You've got to
understand the purpose of the filter, and then you will be able to use your
best judgement. The reason you don't want dust in the engine is that it
acts like sandpaper between the cylinder and cylinder wall, wearing down
these surfaces that need to be closely mated. This could cause performance
problems (in extreme dusty conditions). At best though, dust in the engine
will cause the engine to wear faster, lose compression, lose horsepower,
eventually it will be unusable/worn out.
So, keeping the dust out of the engine will help the engine last longer.

So how do you know if an air filter is still usable? Inspect it visually.
Can you see any holes that will allow dust to travel through the filter,
unimpeded? If not, then keep using it. If you're really paranoid, replace
it once a year or once every other year. If you're not paranoid, just blow
it out after every mowing, then carefully inspect it before reinstalling
t. -Dave

Old 24-05-2009, 01:20 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On May 23, 3:25*pm, "Dave" wrote:

So how do you know if an air filter is still usable? *Inspect it visually.
Can you see any holes that will allow dust to travel through the filter,
unimpeded? *If not, then keep using it. *If you're really paranoid, replace
it once a year or once every other year. *If you're not paranoid, just blow
it out after every mowing, then carefully inspect it before reinstalling
t. *-Dave

Yeah, but.... Hold a new filter up to a light and you can see light
thru the filter, similar to a lamp shade. That same filter after
being blown out 2-3x and as clean as you can get it, will not let any
light thru. This tells me dust is imbedded in the pores of the
filter. Obviously air is getting thru it somehow, but if the airflow
is impeded, is it pulling unfiltered air from around the edges? And
if the air/fuel ratio is out of whack, is there unburned fuel deposit
buildup happening in the engine? I don't know the answer to these
questions and that's why I asked.

KC

KC
Old 24-05-2009, 02:25 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Yeah, but.... Hold a new filter up to a light and you can see light
thru the filter, similar to a lamp shade. That same filter after
being blown out 2-3x and as clean as you can get it, will not let any
light thru. This tells me dust is imbedded in the pores of the
filter. Obviously air is getting thru it somehow, but if the airflow
is impeded, is it pulling unfiltered air from around the edges? And
if the air/fuel ratio is out of whack, is there unburned fuel deposit
buildup happening in the engine? I don't know the answer to these
questions and that's why I asked.

OK, if the air filter is extremely clogged, that could reduce airflow
through the engine, causing the engine to run a bit rich. In a car or
motorcycle, this can reduce fuel economy. For example, a car that gets
25MPG highway might get 23MPG highway with a clogged air filter. The effect
on a lawn tractor? Probably similar, but a lot harder to measure. I mean,
there's no odometer on a lawn tractor. So how do you really keep track of
how much fuel you are wasting with a clogged air filter?

There will always be some small amount of air that gets pulled around the
edges of the air filter. Even a brand new air filter. The air filter isn't
meant to stop ALL dust from getting into the engine. It just isn't that
critical. With no dust in the engine, the engine would still wear out
eventually. And with a little dust in the engine, the engine will still
likely last longer than you need it to, if you don't abuse it. (in
particular, don't neglect to change the oil regularly)

There is no specific answer to your question, simply stated how often do I
need to change the air filter? What it boils down to is a judgement call.
I'd suggest that you change the filter once a year. Change it more often IF
you happen to damage it while blowing it out. Keep a spare on hand just in
case, as when you find you need one, it might not be a convenient time to go
out and get one.

Also pay attention to how the tractor is performing. Maybe you don't have
an odometer to measure fuel economy, but you will spot other problems if the
fuel/air mixture is too rich. For example, if you hit really tall grass
with a new air filter, does the engine bog down / lug? After you blow out
the air filter a few times, hit a similar patch of really tall grass, does
the engine STALL now? That could be a clue that your engine is not
producing as much torque as it should. Possibly time to change the air
filter? Although that could be caused by other things, also. Also, if you
normally mow the whole property on a single tank of fuel, but after blowing
out the air filter a few times you find that you need to refuel when the
mowing is almost done? That could be another clue that the air filter is
due to be changed.

Just use common sense. It's an internal combustion engine. You don't need
to be a rocket scientist to operate and maintain it. -Dave

Old 25-05-2009, 02:44 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On May 23, 8:25*pm, "Dave" wrote:
[...]

JUst put a condom on it and that will keep it from getting dirty.