Old 23-05-2009, 01:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom[_2_] JoeSpareBedroom[_2_] is offline

Default Roundup questions

"SteveB" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"SteveB" wrote in message
My garden is weedy. I'm tilling it and preparing it to plant. Yeah,
yeah, yeah, I waited a long time, I know.

I have what seems to be Bermuda grass or a variant. Stuff that has a
spreading root system. Hundreds of other garden variety weeds. I till
and till, and rake out the weeds and roots, but I know I won't get them
all.

I use Roundup on my 2+ acre spread. I have heard that it only kills
what it comes in contact with, and doesn't work once it hits the soil.
I'd like to know if it is safe to use in the garden on the weedy areas,
or will it stay in there after I plant. Other suggestions for weed
control that is plant friendly would be appreciated.

Steve

What will you be planting, Steve?

Tomatos, peppers, beans, cucumbers, squash .......... whatever.

OK. Here's where Roundup discussions always get interesting, so pick and
choose which of the responses you believe. A pair of dice is helpful, since
that roughly matches the science behind human exposure to agricultural
chemicals.

http://www.i-sis.org.uk/DMPGR.php

In my opinion, the only way to determine whether ag chemicals are safe
around humans is to test those chemicals in the same way as drugs. In other
words, dose living volunteers with the stuff. For all intents and purposes,
that never happens, although someone in this group once showed an exception.

If you're growing food at home, what's the point of taking the same risks as
commercial farmers and exposing yourself to chemicals which have not and
will never be tested for safety? Why do all that work to end up with
essentially the same result?

Use mechanical methods to deal with weeds, like the suggestions about
cardboard & mulch.