Old 23-05-2009, 01:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Default Roundup questions

"SteveB" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"SteveB" wrote in message
My garden is weedy. I'm tilling it and preparing it to plant. Yeah,
yeah, yeah, I waited a long time, I know.

I have what seems to be Bermuda grass or a variant. Stuff that has a
spreading root system. Hundreds of other garden variety weeds. I till
and till, and rake out the weeds and roots, but I know I won't get them
all.

I use Roundup on my 2+ acre spread. I have heard that it only kills
what it comes in contact with, and doesn't work once it hits the soil.
I'd like to know if it is safe to use in the garden on the weedy areas,
or will it stay in there after I plant. Other suggestions for weed
control that is plant friendly would be appreciated.

Steve

What will you be planting, Steve?

Tomatos, peppers, beans, cucumbers, squash .......... whatever.

OK. Here's where Roundup discussions always get interesting, so pick and
choose which of the responses you believe. A pair of dice is helpful, since
that roughly matches the science behind human exposure to agricultural
chemicals.

http://www.i-sis.org.uk/DMPGR.php

In my opinion, the only way to determine whether ag chemicals are safe
around humans is to test those chemicals in the same way as drugs. In other
words, dose living volunteers with the stuff. For all intents and purposes,
that never happens, although someone in this group once showed an exception.

If you're growing food at home, what's the point of taking the same risks as
commercial farmers and exposing yourself to chemicals which have not and
will never be tested for safety? Why do all that work to end up with
essentially the same result?

Use mechanical methods to deal with weeds, like the suggestions about
cardboard & mulch.

Old 23-05-2009, 02:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"SteveB" wrote in message
[...]

Every three years I treat my 12' wide by 600' long crushed stone driveway
plus two parking aprons with Roundup Pro Concentrate, that area is roughly
1/6 acre. I mix and spray 3 gallons of roundup pro concentrate, last time
was two years ago and it cost more than $300 (would cost $400 now) and most
of a day's labor with a 3 gallon manual pump sprayer and a lot of sweat
mixing and lugging on a hot sunny day (didn't feel the investment in a power
roadway sprayer was worth it for one time every 3 years). It would cost
roughly $2,400 to treat 2 acres of unwanted lawn with Roundup... and I
seriously doubt vegetables would grow there for at least a year... I know
from personal experience that the effect of Roundup continues for a long
time, that's why I can get by with an application every three years... it's
been two years now and vegetation is starting to move in enough that now I
mow my driveway.

I don't believe SteveB has a 2 acre garden, in fact I don't believe he has
any size garden or has ever had any garden, and probably once he wakes up
from his beer fogged trailer trash dream and realizes what gardening is
about he will never have a garden... no one who has a 2 acre garden (that's
a farm, folks) would ever ask such questions about killing grass and weeds
with Roundup defolient... a person could feed a family of four with veggies
from the market for two years for the price of enough Roundup to treat 2
acres. A person can easily feed a family of four (and two other families of
four) veggies all year from a 1/16 acre garden and not pay a cent for any
chemicals whatsoever... Steve couldn't afford to treat a 2 acre garden with
H2O. When I read of people with their claims of 4 1/2 acre and 2 acre
gardens (none have ever posted a photo) I seriously wonder if folks here
have any concept of what's an acre of garden.

Old 23-05-2009, 04:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

brooklyn1 wrote:

[...]

He never said he had a 2 acre garden. He said he has 2+ acres and uses
Roundup, and he's getting ready to put in a garden.

I had a 1/4 acre garden when I lived in Texas. (and I used RoundUp to
spot treat the Bermudagrass that kept sneaking in.) It was a huge
garden (IMHO) and was pretty much unmanageable until I discovered drip
irrigation.

Bob
Old 23-05-2009, 05:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
brooklyn1 wrote:

[...]

He certainly did refer to his 2 acre garden... why would someone mention 2
acres in reference to a garden when they are putting in say a 10' X 10'
plot?!?!? Actually he did say he already has a garden, a "weedy" garden
_"My garden is weedy. I'm tilling it and preparing it to plant. Yeah,
yeah, yeah, I waited a long time, I know."_ He led folks to believe he has
a 2 acre garden that is all weedy and he was asking if it was okay to get
rid of the weeds in his garden with Roundup... it is quite clear that his
intent was to lead folks to believe he has a weedy 2 acre garden. Had he
truly wanted suggestion about how to weed his garden (which many offered) an
honest person would have said right from the gitgo what size area (he said 2
acres), otherwise no one could offer help except some generalizations and
mostly wild speculation. Just like the last person who boasted that she
had a 4 1/2 acre garden but when I asked her to post pictures of her garden
she didn't deny it but instead posted pictures of all sorts of things but
none of any garden (probably a neighbor's property). People on usenet are
smarmy, they make all sorts of wildly exaggerated claims and tell down right
lies... very few are who they say they are. Many of the pictures folks post
are not of their garden and/or not of anything they themselves did. It's
easy to post a picture of someone elses garden, or some landscaper was paid
to do and then claim they did it, and cameras are very portable so anyone
can take a shot of a garden across town, and it's very easy to lift an image
off the net... when someone posts a pictures of fully cropped flowers I
wonder where they stole those images.

Old 23-05-2009, 11:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

On Sat, 23 May 2009 16:36:22 GMT, against all advice, something
compelled "brooklyn1" , to say:

He certainly did refer to his 2 acre garden

Maybe he did, maybe he didn't.

Who gives a shit? I mean, besides you.

--

Don't worry about people stealing an idea. If it's original, you will
have to ram it down their throats.

Old 24-05-2009, 05:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"brooklyn1" wrote in message

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
brooklyn1 wrote:

[...]

You made your point when talking about smaller acreage and affordibility of
Roundup vs. feeding the family. I don't digress. You did just waste your
"breath" though on a point that is really moot from the prior replying
poster.
--
Dave

Old 24-05-2009, 01:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"Dioclese" NONE wrote in message
news
"brooklyn1" wrote in message

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
brooklyn1 wrote:

[...]

Sheesh, who made you sole arbiter of what peeps post... your responding to
my post added nothing, whereas yours and you are the total waste... and
obviously you haven't a clue what "digress" means or is your use germaine,
you just inserted the tired overused word self-servingly in hopes of
elevating yourself to a position of importance and superiority, not. I'm
positive you don't have a garden either, never did, never will.... what an
insignicant pinhead your momma bred.

Old 24-05-2009, 04:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"brooklyn1" wrote in message

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
brooklyn1 wrote:

[...]

garden _"My garden is weedy. I'm tilling it and preparing it to plant.
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I waited a long time, I know."_ He led folks to
[...]

And it sounds like you're a pimple faced idiot with little real world
experience. Either join in the conversation or STFU.

On second thought, you haven't written anything yet I consider worth
reading, so, it's to the compost pile with you.

bubye

Steve

Old 24-05-2009, 06:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"brooklyn1" wrote in message

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
brooklyn1 wrote:

[...]

What have you been sniffing, Roundup? I own two acres, which I spray here
and there for weed control. I am starting a garden, and wanted to spray a
little in there to get ahead of the weeds.

Did you get it that time, Sparky?

Steve

Old 24-05-2009, 07:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

On 5/23/2009 10:11 PM, SteveB wrote:
"brooklyn1" wrote in message
"zxcvbob" wrote in message
brooklyn1 wrote:

[...]

Don't waste time and effort answering. There are a few flamers out
there who insist on always having the last word, replying to everything
but actually reading very little. Use news-reader filters. I do now,
and my blood pressure has returned to normal (about 120/65).

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Old 23-05-2009, 06:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"zxcvbob" wrote in message

I had a 1/4 acre garden when I lived in Texas. (and I used RoundUp to
spot treat the Bermudagrass that kept sneaking in.) It was a huge garden
(IMHO) and was pretty much unmanageable until I discovered drip
irrigation.

Drip irrigation is the best invention, EVER. Because of it, I get to plant
my entire front yard in corn, tomatoes, and cucumbers, and only have to work
about ten minutes a day on it.
--S.

Old 23-05-2009, 09:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"Suzanne D." wrote:

Drip irrigation is the best invention, EVER. Because of it, I get to
plant my entire front yard in corn, tomatoes, and cucumbers, and only have
to work about ten minutes a day on it.

Ten minutes a day... you must hold the record for the smallest garden.

Old 23-05-2009, 11:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"brooklyn1" wrote in message

"Suzanne D." wrote:

Drip irrigation is the best invention, EVER. Because of it, I get to
plant my entire front yard in corn, tomatoes, and cucumbers, and only
have to work about ten minutes a day on it.

Ten minutes a day... you must hold the record for the smallest garden.

Not at all. My entire front yard is about 60 feet long. (I've got 120
hills of corn, and about 100 cucumber plants along the front fence.) My
back yard has eighteen 3X6 foot raised beds, plus a six-foot round 3-tiered
herb garden, and a bean house that is about 10 feet on each of four sides.
And I have about 20 fruit and nut trees, plus odd vegetables stuck randomly
throughout the yard, such as on trellises and along the decks. (I like
edible landscaping!) Watering the majority of the garden takes as long as
necessary to turn a couple of spigots, plus hand-watering three or four of
the beds every day. Of course, the initial laying-down of the drip lines
took a long time, but now that everything is in place, it just takes a few
minutes to make sure everything gets watered.
--S.

Old 24-05-2009, 06:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"Suzanne D." wrote in message

"zxcvbob" wrote in message

I had a 1/4 acre garden when I lived in Texas. (and I used RoundUp to
spot treat the Bermudagrass that kept sneaking in.) It was a huge garden
(IMHO) and was pretty much unmanageable until I discovered drip
irrigation.

Drip irrigation is the best invention, EVER. Because of it, I get to
plant my entire front yard in corn, tomatoes, and cucumbers, and only have
to work about ten minutes a day on it.
--S.

I've had gardens for several years when I lived in Louisiana. My wife is a
type A personality. So, when it come time to do the garden, she's out
there, tilling, and making rows that are on a slant, following the slant of
the property. The water runs right through her ditches, and very little
stops for the plants. Couldn't or wouldn't take in the idea that even rice
paddies are made to stairstep down the mountainsides. I have taken the
second half of the garden, and am about through tilling it now and removing
weeds. But I am making my rows at ninety degrees to hers, and using black
flex pipe with drip irrigation.

So, we'll see whose does the best. Outside the garden, we have about a
dozen trees that have bubblers and moats. Tomorrow, I will put wire around
the entrances for rabbits, and plant melons in the moats where they will be
automatically watered.

Might even put a picture up on flickr for brooklyn1.

or not.

Steve

Old 24-05-2009, 06:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"brooklyn1" wrote in message

Who ****ed in your Wheaties?