Old 24-05-2009, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
wafflycat wafflycat is offline

Default Help with some weeding ground elder

"phil" wrote in message
m...
I've got a patch of gravel with a couple of rose bushses and a mini apple
tree.

Weeds are growing through the gravel and I'll like to know if there's
anything I can treat them with whilst not damaging the roses and apple
tree.

I think the weed is ground elder

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.c...ound-elder.htm

I have some Wickes Soduim Chlorate but I don't think this is suitable as
it's for paths and drives.

Can anyone recommend a product that I can use that won't damage the other
plants.

Thanks

Phil

Part of my lawn is *infested* with ground elder. I avoid using
herbicides/pesticides as much as I can. Basically, I control it by frequent
mowing of lawn and on the patch dug out to be a veg plot - for a couple of
butternut squash plants, I'll plant those in the soil but once planted the
bare earth will be topped with black polyethene. Watering will be done via a
2ltr pop bottle inverted and set into the ground immediately next to a
squash plant. In your case, how about removing the gravel - placing a
barrier on the ground, such as black polyethene and then placing gravel back
on top?