Old 24-05-2009, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Help with some weeding ground elder

"phil" wrote in message
m...
I've got a patch of gravel with a couple of rose bushses and a mini apple
tree.

Weeds are growing through the gravel and I'll like to know if there's
anything I can treat them with whilst not damaging the roses and apple
tree.

I think the weed is ground elder

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.c...ound-elder.htm

I have some Wickes Soduim Chlorate but I don't think this is suitable as
it's for paths and drives.

Can anyone recommend a product that I can use that won't damage the other
plants.

Thanks

Phil

Part of my lawn is *infested* with ground elder. I avoid using
herbicides/pesticides as much as I can. Basically, I control it by frequent
mowing of lawn and on the patch dug out to be a veg plot - for a couple of
butternut squash plants, I'll plant those in the soil but once planted the
bare earth will be topped with black polyethene. Watering will be done via a
2ltr pop bottle inverted and set into the ground immediately next to a
squash plant. In your case, how about removing the gravel - placing a
barrier on the ground, such as black polyethene and then placing gravel back
on top?

Old 24-05-2009, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In your case, how about
removing the gravel - placing a barrier on the ground, such as black
polyethene and then placing gravel back on top?

I removed some of the gravel and there's black polythene under it.
Underneath the polythene is riddled with the weeds roots which I'll have
to dig out as much as I can before laying some new polythene.

The weed have grown up through the polythene.

It would be nice to find a easier fix but I don't there is one after
some initial research.

Thanks for replying.

Phil
Old 24-05-2009, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

phil writes

In your case, how about removing the gravel - placing a barrier on
the ground, such as black polyethene and then placing gravel back on
top?

I removed some of the gravel and there's black polythene under it.
Underneath the polythene is riddled with the weeds roots which I'll
have to dig out as much as I can before laying some new polythene.

The weed have grown up through the polythene.

It would be nice to find a easier fix but I don't there is one after
some initial research.

It may take several applications, but anything containing glyphosate
should work. Apply it to the ground elder only (possibly bruise a few
leaves for greater absorption). It's a systemic, and works by disruption
the growth pattern, so it'll take at least 2 weeks before you see any
effect at all. But the important point in your situation is that it
breaks down on contact with soil, so, provided you don't splash it
around, your roses and apple tree will be fine.
--
Kay
Old 25-05-2009, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
phil writes

[...]

Yes just put some round up down and wait not sure what the 2 litre drink
botles have in relation.

Getting rid of ground elder Cat United Kingdom 130 30-10-2003 08:02 AM
Weeds (was Getting rid of ground elder) Victoria Clare United Kingdom 6 24-10-2003 12:22 AM
Help! Ground Elder Mike H United Kingdom 3 12-07-2003 02:32 PM
Help! Ground Elder Mike H Gardening 2 12-07-2003 09:32 AM
Ground elder & plants to grow with it Annabel United Kingdom 20 07-04-2003 04:33 PM