Old 25-05-2009, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
pied piper pied piper is offline

Default Help with some weeding ground elder

"K" wrote in message
phil writes

In your case, how about removing the gravel - placing a barrier on the
ground, such as black polyethene and then placing gravel back on top?

I removed some of the gravel and there's black polythene under it.
Underneath the polythene is riddled with the weeds roots which I'll have
to dig out as much as I can before laying some new polythene.

The weed have grown up through the polythene.

It would be nice to find a easier fix but I don't there is one after some
initial research.

It may take several applications, but anything containing glyphosate
should work. Apply it to the ground elder only (possibly bruise a few
leaves for greater absorption). It's a systemic, and works by disruption
the growth pattern, so it'll take at least 2 weeks before you see any
effect at all. But the important point in your situation is that it breaks
down on contact with soil, so, provided you don't splash it around, your
roses and apple tree will be fine.
--
Kay

Yes just put some round up down and wait not sure what the 2 litre drink
botles have in relation.