Old 26-05-2009, 06:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default Flea beetles

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sun, 24 May 2009 23:31:08 -0700, Billy
wrote:

As I explained, I was going to spray it when the bees weren't out. Once
it has dried, they aren't as likely to pick it up and return it to the
hive. My gully hasn't washed for a couple of months now, so I won' be
impacting any aqua thingies. And don't you get drunk without me Junger.
I'll show you how it's done properly. Some folks seem to think that all
you have to do is face the moon and howl. It ain't that easy. There is
an art form to it.

I haven't consummated my deal with the devil. When making up my garlic
and habanero libation for the flea beetle, I started coughing like I was
roasting jalapenos, but I was only blending them. I just hope it doesn't
vaporize the eggplants when I squirt it on tomorrow;o)

As luck would have it, I have a number of plants in pots, that wasps
like to hang-out in. So tomorrow, a small forest of wasp friendly plants
get moved to the eggplants, the nematodes are loosed, and I roll out the
Scoville equivalent of "shock and awe" (be my luck if they are
undocumented flea beetles). If nothin' else, I'm keeping the ground
saturated because the flea beetle likes dry soil, tough. These suckers
are going to have pneumonia by the time I'm through with them.

When I bought the "Spinosad", I was told that it was like Bt. I'll be
getting my money back tomorrow.

So go back to bed. God is in her heaven, and all is well in the garden.

Faust has left the room.

Good.

But all is not well in the garden. I headed out for my morning
lumbering thru the beds with a cuppa and 'lo and beshit, I have those
fkn flea beetles on my eggplants.......grrrrrrrr.

I headed to the nursery and got some marigolds (as I forgot to start
any this year) and set around them. They have until tomorrow evening
or they are going to be transplanted to pots and moved to the patio
area. FKN flea beetles. FKN lots of things.

FKN trip to the nursery cost me fifty bucks, 'cuz I found some new
stuff I just *had* to have.....pot stuff. Like pineapple sage and
purple variegated sage and more rosemary and more basil and rose moss
and some purple decorative peppers (like I needed more peppers to go
with the other seventy five of about twenty varieties), and more
eggplant......crap, is there no end to this sickness???

Been planting flowers and decoratives all afternoon and evening (that
was another 200 bucks at the nursery, fortunately that was OP's money)

I'm friggin' tired.

Later
Charlie

That's why I enjoy gardening so much. It relaxes me.

Besides the Scoville approach and the nematodes, I also stopped by Home
Despot (because it was handy) and loaded up on marigolds. I had already
moved some catnip in and some alyssum. Hosed down the ground around the
eggplants. Tomorrow, I'll bring in the yarrow and stinging nettle.
--

- Billy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En2TzBE0lp4