Old 26-05-2009, 01:44 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] chrisj.doran@proemail.co.uk is offline

Default Attaching hosepipe guide to a building corner - but temporarily

On 26 May, 12:58, Lobster wrote:
I've come across these hosepipe guides, which look like just what I need
in the garden as I regularly have to negotiate the hosepipe around two
90-deg corners (which are tyrolean-finished which generates more
friction and makes them all the more potentially damaging to a hose)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HOSE-PIPE-GUIDE-WALL-MOUNTED-EASY-TO-INSTALL-NE...
(ebay item 230339462992)

However, the problem is that these things are intended to be screwed
permanently to the brickwork, and where I'd need to site them, they'd be
in the way and it's an absolute dead-certainty that they would be
rapidly snapped off by a passing mower/child/whatever.

What's needed, therefore, is some form of quick-release, demountable
version of this. *Considering that my Hozelock wall-mounted hose reel is
exactly that - it has a 'lift-out', wedge-shaped, interference-fitting
bracket - I'm surprised they don't follow suit with these guides.
Anyway, I've been trying to work out a simple way of adapting one of the
existing ones myself, but coming up blank. Anyone got any bright ideas?

It would need to be something that's easily demountable by hand, would
not leave a markedly protruding fitting on the wall when demounted, and
would not involve me in lots of metalwork (other than a drill, hacksaw
and file I just don't have the kit!)

Thanks
David

Hinge one of the "wings" to the wall, relying on the pull on the pipe
to keep the other against the other side of the corner. In fact, it
probably doesn't matter if it flaps around a bit.

Or, mount two vertically-pointing metal fingers to the wall and drop
it in.

Or, if there's a bit of garden at the corner, mount it on a stake.

Chris