Old 26-05-2009, 07:06 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Kurt[_2_] Kurt[_2_] is offline

Default Bio sludge control and UV sterilizers mutally exclusive?

In article
ohitsystems.ltd.uk,
"Rodney Pont" wrote:

On Sat, 23 May 2009 15:27:33 EDT, Kurt wrote:

Thanks for that "clarification" :-). I had gotten my information from a
seasoned pond guy. Made sense.

It's easy to get confused by this. When the filter bacteria are just
getting started you want them spread around in the water column because
the grow on everything so it's always advisable to turn the tube off
for that. They do kill some of the bacteria passing through and you
don't really want that. Once it's established in the filter though it's
safe even if you are running at killer levels :-)

I have an inline 40 Watt UV clarifier. Pretty bright bulb. Made sense
that one that powerful would affect other bacteria.

Heres a link to some sterilizers on sale in the UK as an example:

http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/cat...terilisers.asp

To kill everything you have to get all of the water through the UV
light in about 20 minutes so that you don't give the bacteria time to
breed. You then also have to limit the flow rate so that the bacteria
is exposed for long enough for it's DNA to be disrupted. The first two
use the shorter T5 tube so flow rates have to be lower than the second
two using the T8 tube. My badly remembered 10W per gallon was way out,
it looks more like 5 gallons per watt so your 40W unit would be ok to
sterilize a 200 gallon pond providing you didn't pump the water through
at more than 600 gallons per hour (all UK gallons by the way).

You can see the pond clarifiers if you go into the pond section. Your
40W unit will do something like 6-7 thousand gallons and even larger
but not as quickly.

Mine is overkill. I have about a 1000 gal pond with a 3000GPH pump
running 1.5" tubing,including the 40 watt Pondmaster clarifier (
http://www.aquatichouse.com/UVSteril...s/DannerUV.asp )
into a Savio Livingponds waterfall filter. Water enters/exits clarifier
through elbow fitting, so water, I'm assuming, is slowed a bit.