Old 27-05-2009, 01:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jeff[_14_] Jeff[_14_] is offline

Default cucumber crash

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Jeff wrote:

Cucumber plants are several inches high but on of them the stem shrunk
and withered from ground level up to about an inch. This has killed the
plant. What is that and will I need to worry about the other plants?
They all look healthy to my untrained eyes.

Jeff

The key that I'm looking at says,

"Plant wilts slowly but permanently, with no
recovery at night; stem may rot at the base" .......fusarium wilt

IIRC you are screwed (sorry).
http://plant-disease.ippc.orst.edu/d...?RecordID=1492

Thanks. This seems likely as the soil here is from leaf litter and it
would not surprise me if it had fungi. The deceased plants roots looked
fine, as that article had mentioned. For that matter, so did the rest of
the plant, until it fell over.

Don't take this as gospel,yet, and keep looking.

I'll keep watching. Any chance cat urine could do it in? I'm herding
cats faster than I can spay them.

Jeff