Old 27-05-2009, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Plug Plants?

On 2009-05-27 12:56:10 +0100, "Bill P." said:

This year I decided to give plug plants from Thomson & Morgan a go. I have
never tried plug plants before. Anyway I ordered Geranium maverick Red and
Begonia Organdy Mixed They arrived second week in March and were potted up
into three inch pots using good compost.

I am not happy with their progress at all, they are still not fit for
planting out, very slow growth. Plants that I have grown from seed are all
doing well and in the garden. All grown under the same conditions.

It may be that I am at fault, not having any experience with plug plant But?
Its not difficult to do.

The reason I tried plug plants was I imagined I would get an earlier start.
Any thoughts or advice for the future?

Buy bigger ones in 9cm pots, if you can. You need something that's
been able to make a good deal of root before being potted on or planted
out and plugs really are babies in most cases. Some things we buy as
plugs but pot on ourselves into 9s and so on and there are always a few
that get chucked at the plug stage because they just look weedy
specimens. They do seem to make stronger plants more quickly. We've
found a few things have been slow to get going this year when
propagated, so maybe the cold wiinter held things back a bit. Lonicera
hildebrandiana took quite a while before we were happy to sell it and
while it can be a bit moody about propagation, my husband found it even
more so this year!
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials