Old 27-05-2009, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plug Plants?

This year I decided to give plug plants from Thomson & Morgan a go. I have
never tried plug plants before. Anyway I ordered Geranium maverick Red and
Begonia Organdy Mixed They arrived second week in March and were potted up
into three inch pots using good compost.

I am not happy with their progress at all, they are still not fit for
planting out, very slow growth. Plants that I have grown from seed are all
doing well and in the garden. All grown under the same conditions.

It may be that I am at fault, not having any experience with plug plant But?
Its not difficult to do.

The reason I tried plug plants was I imagined I would get an earlier start.
Any thoughts or advice for the future?
--
Bill.
South/West Durham

Old 27-05-2009, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bill P. wrote:

The reason I tried plug plants was I imagined I would get an earlier
start. Any thoughts or advice for the future?

I buy plug plants every year Bill. I order in January from Gardening Direct
This year I had 100 Geraniums ( Maverick Orange for a change) and dark blue
Lobellia as an edging.
They were delivered in mid-March and have done very well in the greenhouse
with the heater programmed to only come on to keep it frost free. I also
use fleece over the plants for a couple of weeks.
--
Jamps.

Old 27-05-2009, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The reason I tried plug plants was I imagined I would get an earlier
start. Any thoughts or advice for the future?

I buy plug plants every year Bill. I order in January from Gardening
Direct
This year I had 100 Geraniums ( Maverick Orange for a change) and dark
blue Lobellia as an edging.
They were delivered in mid-March and have done very well in the greenhouse
with the heater programmed to only come on to keep it frost free. I also
use fleece over the plants for a couple of weeks.
--
Jamps.

I have used Gardening Direct for plug plants and have always had 100%
success with them. just follow the instructions that come with the plants.It
helps if you have a greenhouse or anywhere that is frost free.

kate

Old 27-05-2009, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bill P.
writes
This year I decided to give plug plants from Thomson & Morgan a go. I have
never tried plug plants before. Anyway I ordered Geranium maverick Red and
Begonia Organdy Mixed They arrived second week in March and were potted up
into three inch pots using good compost.

I am not happy with their progress at all, they are still not fit for
planting out, very slow growth. Plants that I have grown from seed are all
doing well and in the garden. All grown under the same conditions.

It may be that I am at fault, not having any experience with plug plant But?
Its not difficult to do.

The reason I tried plug plants was I imagined I would get an earlier start.
Any thoughts or advice for the future?

The only plug plants I have ever bought were herbs from Jekka McVicar
and they were fine.
--
June Hughes
Old 27-05-2009, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-27 12:56:10 +0100, "Bill P." said:

This year I decided to give plug plants from Thomson & Morgan a go. I have
never tried plug plants before. Anyway I ordered Geranium maverick Red and
Begonia Organdy Mixed They arrived second week in March and were potted up
into three inch pots using good compost.

I am not happy with their progress at all, they are still not fit for
planting out, very slow growth. Plants that I have grown from seed are all
doing well and in the garden. All grown under the same conditions.

It may be that I am at fault, not having any experience with plug plant But?
Its not difficult to do.

The reason I tried plug plants was I imagined I would get an earlier start.
Any thoughts or advice for the future?

Buy bigger ones in 9cm pots, if you can. You need something that's
been able to make a good deal of root before being potted on or planted
out and plugs really are babies in most cases. Some things we buy as
plugs but pot on ourselves into 9s and so on and there are always a few
that get chucked at the plug stage because they just look weedy
specimens. They do seem to make stronger plants more quickly. We've
found a few things have been slow to get going this year when
propagated, so maybe the cold wiinter held things back a bit. Lonicera
hildebrandiana took quite a while before we were happy to sell it and
while it can be a bit moody about propagation, my husband found it even
more so this year!
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Old 27-05-2009, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"jamps" wrote in message
Bill P. wrote:

The reason I tried plug plants was I imagined I would get an earlier
start. Any thoughts or advice for the future?

I buy plug plants every year Bill. I order in January from Gardening
Direct
This year I had 100 Geraniums ( Maverick Orange for a change) and dark
blue Lobellia as an edging.
They were delivered in mid-March and have done very well in the greenhouse
with the heater programmed to only come on to keep it frost free. I also
use fleece over the plants for a couple of weeks.
--
Jamps.

Hi Jamps,
All my plants were in the greenhouse with heating on if there was danger of
frost and like you I use Fleece.
Maylook up Gardening Direct.
--
Bill.
South/West Durham

Old 28-05-2009, 07:14 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill P. View Post
This year I decided to give plug plants from Thomson & Morgan a go. I have
never tried plug plants before. Anyway I ordered Geranium maverick Red and
Begonia Organdy Mixed They arrived second week in March and were potted up
into three inch pots using good compost.

I am not happy with their progress at all, they are still not fit for
planting out, very slow growth. Plants that I have grown from seed are all
doing well and in the garden. All grown under the same conditions.

It may be that I am at fault, not having any experience with plug plant But?
Its not difficult to do.

The reason I tried plug plants was I imagined I would get an earlier start.
Any thoughts or advice for the future?
--
Bill.
South/West Durham

I bought mine from them, and although they are a bit slow they are still growing