Old 27-05-2009, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roy Bailey Roy Bailey is offline

Default Raspberry canes

In article , Bob Minchin
writes
Newbie gardener here so forgive the potentially naive question.

I bought 15 raspberry canes - 5 each of three different varieties early
, mid and late fruiting.

These were planted into a prepared trench in late march this year and
cut down to 9-12" as instructed. Some sprouted new growth on the woody
stems, others sent up new shoots from below ground but about 5 seem to
be doing nothing (these are of mixed varieties).

I can never understand why there is this advice to cut down raspberry
canes as soon as they are planted. All you are doing is losing a year's
fruiting.

Earlier this year I gave some surplus canes to a friend and advised him
to ignore this advice. He reports that they are flowering well and that
he expects a good crop.

Roy.
--
Roy Bailey