Old 27-05-2009, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Raspberry canes

Newbie gardener here so forgive the potentially naive question.

I bought 15 raspberry canes - 5 each of three different varieties early
, mid and late fruiting.

These were planted into a prepared trench in late march this year and
cut down to 9-12" as instructed. Some sprouted new growth on the woody
stems, others sent up new shoots from below ground but about 5 seem to
be doing nothing (these are of mixed varieties).
1) Is this a reasonable survival rate?
2) Should I wait a full season then complain to the supplier - clearly
this is the wrong time of year for them to send replacements.
3)Do plant suppliers offer a warranty, or am I expecting too much?

Cheers

Bob
Old 27-05-2009, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bob Minchin
writes
Newbie gardener here so forgive the potentially naive question.

I bought 15 raspberry canes - 5 each of three different varieties early
, mid and late fruiting.

These were planted into a prepared trench in late march this year and
cut down to 9-12" as instructed. Some sprouted new growth on the woody
stems, others sent up new shoots from below ground but about 5 seem to
be doing nothing (these are of mixed varieties).

I can never understand why there is this advice to cut down raspberry
canes as soon as they are planted. All you are doing is losing a year's
fruiting.

Earlier this year I gave some surplus canes to a friend and advised him
to ignore this advice. He reports that they are flowering well and that
he expects a good crop.

Roy.
--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.

Old 27-05-2009, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 27, 2:33*pm, Bob Minchin wrote:
Newbie gardener here so forgive the potentially naive question.

I bought 15 raspberry canes - 5 each of three different varieties early
, mid and late fruiting.

These were planted into a prepared trench in late march this year and
cut down to 9-12" as instructed. Some sprouted new growth on the woody
stems, others sent up new shoots from below ground but about 5 seem to
be doing nothing (these are of mixed varieties).
1) Is this a reasonable survival rate?
2) Should I wait a full season then complain to the supplier - clearly
this is the wrong time of year for them to send replacements.
3)Do plant suppliers offer a warranty, or am I expecting too much?

I bought ten new ones in the spring from my local nursery - not a
single one has sprouted. Could be a bad year. I shall certainly
complain.
Old 27-05-2009, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

moghouse wrote:
On May 27, 2:33 pm, Bob Minchin wrote:
Newbie gardener here so forgive the potentially naive question.

I bought 15 raspberry canes - 5 each of three different varieties early
, mid and late fruiting.

These were planted into a prepared trench in late march this year and
cut down to 9-12" as instructed. Some sprouted new growth on the woody
stems, others sent up new shoots from below ground but about 5 seem to
be doing nothing (these are of mixed varieties).
1) Is this a reasonable survival rate?
2) Should I wait a full season then complain to the supplier - clearly
this is the wrong time of year for them to send replacements.
3)Do plant suppliers offer a warranty, or am I expecting too much?

I bought ten new ones in the spring from my local nursery - not a
single one has sprouted. Could be a bad year. I shall certainly
complain.

10 of one variety from a local nursery, 5 survivors - Is the winter
weather to blame

Malcolm

Can 'dead' raspberry canes be revived? Miss Perspicacia Tick United Kingdom 5 23-02-2005 10:51 PM
Raspberry Canes Kim Bewick United Kingdom 1 07-03-2004 01:06 PM
raspberry canes R United Kingdom 10 10-04-2003 08:44 AM
Raspberry canes John Cotterill United Kingdom 1 14-01-2003 10:24 PM
Moving raspberry canes Jo United Kingdom 2 24-11-2002 01:35 PM