Old 28-05-2009, 08:47 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jeßus[_2_] Jeßus[_2_] is offline

Default Newbie question: Exactly what is 'frost'?

In article 8ec1fa9c-d9de-4dd4-8653-
,
says...
Hi,

As it says in the subject, I'm new to gardening, and want to know
exactly what 'frost' is.

I would assume it's zero degrees, hence ice forming overnight. However
I read articles mentioning it (don't plant until the last of the
frosts, etc) talking about the Sydney area, but as far as I know we
don't really get any frosts.

Well, I guess some parts of Sydney do, but it's pretty rare where I
am, which is Ryde.

Anyway, what is 'frost'?

Come here (N.E TAS) any morning now and see for yourself

I see you've had your question answered, although I don't think anyone
has mentioned that any wind or breeze usually stops (or at least
minimises) frost from forming - all other requirements having been met
of course.