Old 27-05-2009, 11:10 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Newbie question: Exactly what is 'frost'?

Hi,

As it says in the subject, I'm new to gardening, and want to know
exactly what 'frost' is.

I would assume it's zero degrees, hence ice forming overnight. However
I read articles mentioning it (don't plant until the last of the
frosts, etc) talking about the Sydney area, but as far as I know we
don't really get any frosts.

Well, I guess some parts of Sydney do, but it's pretty rare where I
am, which is Ryde.

Anyway, what is 'frost'?

Thanks

Brock
Old 28-05-2009, 12:11 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Brock" wrote in message

As it says in the subject, I'm new to gardening, and want to know
exactly what 'frost' is.

I would assume it's zero degrees, hence ice forming overnight. However
I read articles mentioning it (don't plant until the last of the
frosts, etc) talking about the Sydney area, but as far as I know we
don't really get any frosts.

Well, I guess some parts of Sydney do, but it's pretty rare where I
am, which is Ryde.

Anyway, what is 'frost'?

Ice which settles on the ground and on plants.

Old 28-05-2009, 02:25 AM posted to aus.gardens

Brock wrote:
Hi,

As it says in the subject, I'm new to gardening, and want to know
exactly what 'frost' is.

I would assume it's zero degrees, hence ice forming overnight. However
I read articles mentioning it (don't plant until the last of the
frosts, etc) talking about the Sydney area, but as far as I know we
don't really get any frosts.

Well, I guess some parts of Sydney do, but it's pretty rare where I
am, which is Ryde.

Anyway, what is 'frost'?

Thanks

Brock

Frost is condensation of water from the atmosphere that freezes to ice. The
ground temperature may be well below zero and so would objects that frost
forms on. This usually happens under a clear sky at night when the ground
loses heat by radiation. This almost never happens in the seaside suburbs
of Sydney but is reasonably common inland (eg St Marys, Penrith) during
winter. My guess is that you would get frost at Ryde but rarely. There are
local environment effects that mean some places (on a hill) may never get
frost but only a km away (in a hollow) gets frost. Rather than have people
around the world speculating why not ask some neighbours who have been in
the area for a few years.

also see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frost

David

Old 28-05-2009, 04:53 AM posted to aus.gardens

Thanks all for your excellent answers.

I was hoping my basil would bolt to seed (to harvest the seeds) before
it died off during winter. Assuming I'll have no frost, I now hope it
will live on through winter.

Cheers

Brock

Old 28-05-2009, 06:20 AM posted to aus.gardens

Brock wrote:
Thanks all for your excellent answers.

I was hoping my basil would bolt to seed (to harvest the seeds) before
it died off during winter. Assuming I'll have no frost, I now hope it
will live on through winter.

Cheers

Brock

It probably won't get through the winter, basil likes it warm as well as
frost free and should be grown as an annual. It is likely to go to seed
though, it should be flowering, or have flowered already..

David

Old 30-05-2009, 08:33 PM posted to aus.gardens
len len is offline

g'day brock,

if youa re frost free then you can plant depending on the asepct of
your garden ie.,. does it face north and get good sun through the day?

there are 2 sorts o frosts white not so disasterous frost, or black
frost so named because all the sensative plants and then some go black
but you didn't see a frost.

the way i see it white frost forms when you have a dew on the ground
and the ground temp drops to say around 4c, the temp drop usually
occurs when the air above whic is colder settles on the ground or cold
air is carried in on the breezes. for this frost you can cover things
up once you determine that a frost is likely.white frost usualy appear
just at the break of dawn before the sun. also frost seems to form
more on the top of mulch as the mulch is moister and warmer than the
air above it.

the balck frost for me occurs much earlier n the night or can do as it
comes along with a cold front and usually when the ground moisture is
dry, i sued to get up in the gray dwan and hose the plants off for
white frost but as soon as i had a black frost all that previous water
was wasted as the plants where now gone.

so i cover things up now and take my chances.

so maybe where you may not experience white frost you could get a
black frost?

usually where i am cloud cover overnight means no white frost.

up here after the frost cn mean as late as teh second week in
september, you need to have some idea so you can pick when to plant
summer crops out as the frost and end as early as around 2nd week in
august. can be a bit of a lottery. best picked from what the pressure
systems are doing to cause air movement from the south to here and
what cold fronts they have moving through.

On Wed, 27 May 2009 15:10:57 -0700 (PDT), Brock
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev