Old 28-05-2009, 05:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Seeds.

Ross wrote:
Hi Everyone,
Last year I bought two amaryllis/hippeastrum bulbs, one pink, the other
was red in the centre and white on the outer edge. I hand pollinated
these flowers and collected the seeds. I recently planted them and have
been rewarded with several seedlings! Now I am wondering how to take
care of them, and maybe even get my own variety! Also, they're
currently in a small pot (in comparison with the original bulb I
bought). I am wondering how long it will take, what sort of fertiliser
to use, whether to move them to a slightly larger pot, and if so when
to move them? Thanks! Tried to include a picture but the quality was
too high and the upload took hours, then failed! Oh well.

I've done the same thing before. It took about 4 years for them to
bloom, and they looked *exactly* like one of the parents (the "mother"),
so it may have self-pollinated when I wasn't looking.

Amaryllis like to be somewhat pot-bound. I don't think I gave them any
special care, just time. (the season is so short here is why I think it
took 4 years instead of 3)

Bob