Old 28-05-2009, 03:07 PM
Registered User

Location: Kent
Talking Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Seeds.

Hi Everyone,
Last year I bought two amaryllis/hippeastrum bulbs, one pink, the other was red in the centre and white on the outer edge. I hand pollinated these flowers and collected the seeds. I recently planted them and have been rewarded with several seedlings! Now I am wondering how to take care of them, and maybe even get my own variety! Also, they're currently in a small pot (in comparison with the original bulb I bought). I am wondering how long it will take, what sort of fertiliser to use, whether to move them to a slightly larger pot, and if so when to move them? Thanks! Tried to include a picture but the quality was too high and the upload took hours, then failed! Oh well.
Old 28-05-2009, 05:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Seeds.

Ross wrote:
Hi Everyone,
Last year I bought two amaryllis/hippeastrum bulbs, one pink, the other
was red in the centre and white on the outer edge. I hand pollinated
these flowers and collected the seeds. I recently planted them and have
been rewarded with several seedlings! Now I am wondering how to take
care of them, and maybe even get my own variety! Also, they're
currently in a small pot (in comparison with the original bulb I
bought). I am wondering how long it will take, what sort of fertiliser
to use, whether to move them to a slightly larger pot, and if so when
to move them? Thanks! Tried to include a picture but the quality was
too high and the upload took hours, then failed! Oh well.

I've done the same thing before. It took about 4 years for them to
bloom, and they looked *exactly* like one of the parents (the "mother"),
so it may have self-pollinated when I wasn't looking.

Amaryllis like to be somewhat pot-bound. I don't think I gave them any
special care, just time. (the season is so short here is why I think it
took 4 years instead of 3)

Bob
Old 28-05-2009, 09:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/28/2009 7:07 AM, Ross wrote:
Hi Everyone,
Last year I bought two amaryllis/hippeastrum bulbs, one pink, the other
was red in the centre and white on the outer edge. I hand pollinated
these flowers and collected the seeds. I recently planted them and have
been rewarded with several seedlings! Now I am wondering how to take
care of them, and maybe even get my own variety! Also, they're
currently in a small pot (in comparison with the original bulb I
bought). I am wondering how long it will take, what sort of fertiliser
to use, whether to move them to a slightly larger pot, and if so when
to move them? Thanks! Tried to include a picture but the quality was
too high and the upload took hours, then failed! Oh well.

Keep them growing year round. In their native environment, they are
evergreen.

Keep the soil moist but not wet. Feed lightly when there are three
leaves. Do not repot until there is a definite bulb; even then, don't
use a large pot. (Bob is very correct. They bloom best when pot-bound.)

If it indeed is different from its parents, you get to name the new
variety. In that case, you might want to contact the International Bulb
Society at http://www.bulbsociety.org/. In the U.S., I don't think
you can patent new plant varieties that are propagated from bulbs. I
don't know about the U.K.

See my http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_hippeastrum.html.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 31-05-2009, 06:34 PM
Registered User

Location: Kent
Thumbs up

Quote:
(Hippeastrum Seeds) ... Keep them growing year round. In their native environment, they are
evergreen...
Thanks guys!!! Your advice is a lot of help and I will follow it to the letter. I would love to get my own variety, If only to grow it and see what colours/blooms I get. Thanks A Lot!!! Ross.