Old 28-05-2009, 05:29 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

Default Planting boxes

If you are looking for non toxic longevity why don't you look into composite
lumber for your raised beds.

Val
"SteveB" wrote in message
news
I have decided to make some raised planting boxes rather than go into the
earth, which here is a combination of sand dune sand and caliche. I
believe that some treated lumber would last the longest, or perhaps some
railroad ties. Maybe some old building beams if I can find them for a
decent price.

Is there a danger of the chemicals leaching out from treated lumber or
railroad ties for garden beds? What if I put a liner? I intend on going
to the nursery, and getting a really good mix of soil delivered, or maybe
just getting some bales of peat moss, and some bags of soil and mixing.
But I don't want to do all the work and spend all the money if I am
planting these things in a toxic box.

TIA

Steve