Old 28-05-2009, 11:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
Joe J. Joe J. is offline

Default Planting boxes

"SteveB" wrote in message

"Joe J." wrote in message
news

"SteveB" wrote in message
news
I have decided to make some raised planting boxes rather than go into the
earth, which here is a combination of sand dune sand and caliche. I
believe that some treated lumber would last the longest, or perhaps some
railroad ties. Maybe some old building beams if I can find them for a
decent price.

Is there a danger of the chemicals leaching out from treated lumber or
railroad ties for garden beds? What if I put a liner? I intend on
going to the nursery, and getting a really good mix of soil delivered,
or maybe just getting some bales of peat moss, and some bags of soil and
mixing. But I don't want to do all the work and spend all the money if I
am planting these things in a toxic box.

TIA

Steve

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creosote

WOW! Thanks, Joe! That was interesting. It didn't answer my questions,
but it was interesting. I would also like to hear your input and opinions
about the questions asked.

Thanks again.

Steve

Sorry, when you talked about using railroad ties, I thought a link to the
ill effects of creosote might be helpful. My mistake I guess.