Old 29-05-2009, 01:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jeff[_14_] Jeff[_14_] is offline

Default cucumber crash

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Jeff wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Jeff wrote:

snip

Downey mildew is what all of our gardens get at the end of the years as
the weather cools and the plants get wet.

Got it.

(With this in mind, try not to
wet the leaves on tomatoes when watering.)

Hmmm. I've been watering the leaves when I fertilize weekly,
something I have just started doing. I take it that this is OK as long
as the leaves dry, which they currently do quickly.

Which brings me to a fertilizer question I've been meaning to ask. I
looked around a bit and didn't see many options, so I took home some
Miracle Grow Tomato Plant Food (18-18-21). It seemed to me that the
organic benefits are mostly in the lack of insecticides. I've been
watering my small garden of cukes, carrots, tomatoes, snow peas,
blueberries, a peach, a grape, cantalopes and one zuchini and one pepper
with this once a week. Is there a better direction for me, this late in
the game?

I don't know what you mean by
glazing

Just clear "plastic". For solar, transparency and UV resistance is
key. You may have noticed that clear plastic is milky, unlike the bag it
comes in!

but nurseries and hardware stores will have clear plastic
sheeting for sale. Be sure to bury the edges of the plastic with dirt.

http://www.thisland.illinois.edu/57ways/57ways_15.html

http://ceamador.ucdavis.edu/files/942.pdf

OK. I'll work on this.

Jeff