Old 29-05-2009, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Brown Kate Brown is offline

Default watering with hard water

Here we are in London and the ground is getting drier, actually the pots
are getting really dry. We have a mains water irrigation system, some
drippers, some sprayers, and use it if there has been no rain for a few
days. But I do notice that the leaves afterwards show how hard the
water is - the lime is left as a whitish bloom where the droplets
evaporated. Is this generally OK or should we try and counterbalance
the lime with an acid drench now and then? We don't irrigate the
camellias which are in a relatively shady area, but a potted azalea
would suffer without the drips when we were away. Otherwise we have all
sorts of stuff - roses, lilies, delphiniums blue and geraniums red -
I'll put up some photos soon on Flickr.

As a rule, though, is a lot of hard water bad or indifferent for most
plants?

--
Kate B

PS 'elvira' is spamtrapped - please reply to 'elviraspam' at cockaigne dot org dot uk if you
want to reply personally