Old 29-05-2009, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default watering with hard water

Here we are in London and the ground is getting drier, actually the pots
are getting really dry. We have a mains water irrigation system, some
drippers, some sprayers, and use it if there has been no rain for a few
days. But I do notice that the leaves afterwards show how hard the
water is - the lime is left as a whitish bloom where the droplets
evaporated. Is this generally OK or should we try and counterbalance
the lime with an acid drench now and then? We don't irrigate the
camellias which are in a relatively shady area, but a potted azalea
would suffer without the drips when we were away. Otherwise we have all
sorts of stuff - roses, lilies, delphiniums blue and geraniums red -
I'll put up some photos soon on Flickr.

As a rule, though, is a lot of hard water bad or indifferent for most
plants?

--
Kate B

PS 'elvira' is spamtrapped - please reply to 'elviraspam' at cockaigne dot org dot uk if you
want to reply personally
Old 29-05-2009, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Brown" wrote in message
Here we are in London and the ground is getting drier, actually the pots
are getting really dry. We have a mains water irrigation system, some
drippers, some sprayers, and use it if there has been no rain for a few
days. But I do notice that the leaves afterwards show how hard the water
is - the lime is left as a whitish bloom where the droplets evaporated.
Is this generally OK or should we try and counterbalance the lime with an
acid drench now and then? We don't irrigate the camellias which are in a
relatively shady area, but a potted azalea would suffer without the drips
when we were away. Otherwise we have all sorts of stuff - roses, lilies,
delphiniums blue and geraniums red - I'll put up some photos soon on
Flickr.

As a rule, though, is a lot of hard water bad or indifferent for most
plants?

Here in East Anglia if you use mains water, it's very, very hard water, so
the plants have to deal with it. So far, mine are thriving.

Old 29-05-2009, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Brown" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Kate,

I would be inclined to give the potted azalea an acid feed; without it,
other nutrients in the compost will not be available to it. I give my roses
one acid feed a year to help with blackspot, but you don't have to if your
roses are happy without. Some lilies like an acid soil, but by no means all
of them. You may need to look up the requirements of your variety(ies).
Delphiniums and geraniums are happy with alkaline soil, as are pelargoniums,
in case that's what you meant :~).

Personally, I would find the hard water staining on the leaves undesirable.
However, whilst you might be able to adjust the drippers so that they only
wet the soil, I don't see how you can avoid wetting the leaves with the
sprayers. Still, it is just a niggle compared with watching your plants
wilt during a drought.

Spider

Old 29-05-2009, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 29, 7:53*pm, "Spider" wrote:
"Kate Brown" wrote in message

[...]

I would agree with that, I had that probem in the UK.

Judith
Old 29-05-2009, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 29 May 2009, Chris Hogg wrote
On Fri, 29 May 2009 16:13:07 +0100, Kate Brown
wrote:

Here we are in London and the ground is getting drier, actually the pots
are getting really dry. We have a mains water irrigation system, some
drippers, some sprayers, and use it if there has been no rain for a few
days. But I do notice that the leaves afterwards show how hard the
water is - the lime is left as a whitish bloom where the droplets
evaporated. Is this generally OK or should we try and counterbalance
the lime with an acid drench now and then? We don't irrigate the
camellias which are in a relatively shady area, but a potted azalea
would suffer without the drips when we were away. Otherwise we have all
sorts of stuff - roses, lilies, delphiniums blue and geraniums red -
I'll put up some photos soon on Flickr.

As a rule, though, is a lot of hard water bad or indifferent for most
plants?

I wouldn't use hard water for camellias, azaleas, rhododendrons or
summer flowering heathers (collectively known as ericaceous plants) if
they are in pots. Use rain water if you've got a water butt, and
consider getting one if you haven't. Failing that, dose the pot with
Sequestrine (available as a powder in sachets from garden centres),
say twice a year in the growing season, otherwise the plants will
start to show yellowing of the leaves (chlorosis) and won't thrive.

The ericaceous plants in the soil will cope with a few waterings using
hard water without too much problem, but frequent watering may build
up alkalinity in the soil and result in chlorosis in the plants; it
rather depends on the degree of acidity in the soil and its capacity
to cope with hard water.

Most other plants won't mind a bit of hard water.

Thanks to all, that confirms what I hoped, that if I look after the
azalea separately (and the roses, which do get a bit of blackspot later
in the year) with some Sequestrene (or Miracid? we seem to have a pot
or two of that) then the rest won't mind too much. There's a heather in
a shrubby sort of bed but that doesn't get irrigated and it's been fine
for years, otherwise nothing I can think of. Unless hydrangeas count?
They seem quite happy at the moment, and usually flower a lovely creamy
pink in August. Spider, you're right about the chalky blotches being a
bit unsightly, but without the sprayers on the beds things start to wilt
and also get mildew, which is even more unsightly - at least a shower of
proper rain deals with the chalk!

Old 30-05-2009, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Hydrangeas only count if you either want them blue, or they look chlorotic.

I take your point about the chalky deposit. As you say, mildew is the
greater enemy in terms of both appearance and plant health, so you're
plainly doing the right thing.

Spider