Old 29-05-2009, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Sods law!!

"Sacha" wrote
after "Bob Hobden" cried

Nearly two weeks away in SW France and a Cactus I've had for over 30
years
decides to flower for the first time while I'm away and it's over by the
time I get back!!
A 30 year wait and I miss it!!

Oh, bad luck. That's like the story of the man eating the one rare fruit
on a tree just before his hostess brought a party of botanists to see it!
You'll have to x fingers for this time next year - and choose a different
holiday date! Hope it was good hols, though.

It was given to me by a Lady (who is long dead) because she couldn't get it
to flower. Since then it's quadrupled in size and thrown up offsets too, and
now it's flowered I am hoping it will do so every year. I haven't got
another 30 years to wait.

I did manage to visit the Waterlilly gardens of Latour-Marliac at
Temple-sur-Lot and will post some pics when I get some time. Needless to say
I bought a plant, "Lilly Pons", the most beautiful large pink full flowers.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden