Old 29-05-2009, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sods law!!

Nearly two weeks away in SW France and a Cactus I've had for over 30 years
decides to flower for the first time while I'm away and it's over by the
time I get back!!
A 30 year wait and I miss it!!

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 29-05-2009, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Nearly two weeks away in SW France and a Cactus I've had for over 30 years
decides to flower for the first time while I'm away and it's over by the
time I get back!!
A 30 year wait and I miss it!!

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
just W. of London

Should have taken it with you ;-))

I suppose you are now waiting for 2039? Bit of a long wait and I will be 103
;-)

Mike

Old 29-05-2009, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
Nearly two weeks away in SW France and a Cactus I've had for over 30 years
decides to flower for the first time while I'm away and it's over by the
time I get back!!
A 30 year wait and I miss it!!

I had a ball cactus for twenty years in a greenhouse and it never
flowered once. I brought it to France and leave it outside in a hanging
basket exposed to the elements (even forgot to bring it indoors Winter
before last) and now it has the most spectacular flowers. They are out
of proportion to the size of the cactus.

--
David in Normandy.
Old 29-05-2009, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-29 17:42:15 +0100, "Bob Hobden" said:

Nearly two weeks away in SW France and a Cactus I've had for over 30 years
decides to flower for the first time while I'm away and it's over by the
time I get back!!
A 30 year wait and I miss it!!

Oh, bad luck. That's like the story of the man eating the one rare
fruit on a tree just before his hostess brought a party of botanists
to see it! You'll have to x fingers for this time next year - and
choose a different holiday date! Hope it was good hols, though.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Old 29-05-2009, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
after "Bob Hobden" cried

Nearly two weeks away in SW France and a Cactus I've had for over 30
years
decides to flower for the first time while I'm away and it's over by the
time I get back!!
A 30 year wait and I miss it!!

Oh, bad luck. That's like the story of the man eating the one rare fruit
on a tree just before his hostess brought a party of botanists to see it!
You'll have to x fingers for this time next year - and choose a different
holiday date! Hope it was good hols, though.

It was given to me by a Lady (who is long dead) because she couldn't get it
to flower. Since then it's quadrupled in size and thrown up offsets too, and
now it's flowered I am hoping it will do so every year. I haven't got
another 30 years to wait.

I did manage to visit the Waterlilly gardens of Latour-Marliac at
Temple-sur-Lot and will post some pics when I get some time. Needless to say
I bought a plant, "Lilly Pons", the most beautiful large pink full flowers.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Sods law Wally[_3_] United Kingdom 0 31-07-2010 12:35 PM
sods not rooting four_candles Lawns 2 27-11-2009 07:03 AM
using left-out lawn sods as filler formy newly made flower bed FardinA Gardening 2 06-07-2005 07:06 PM
Prickly pear: What's the law? figaro Gardening 0 16-11-2003 01:22 AM
76% Say Hunters Should Obey Law LordSnooty United Kingdom 2 03-11-2003 05:24 PM