Old 29-05-2009, 11:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Sweet William and Wallflowers

moghouse writes
On May 29, 3:19*pm, "Bill P." wrote:
Does anyone sow Sweet William and wallflower seeds in pots insted of outside
in the garden (lack of space) If so when is the best time to sow in pots in
a cold frame?

I did try it a few years ago, but it was not successful, the SW
particularly are hard to prick out. I have gone back to sowing in the
vegetable patch in mid summer.

I sow in pots because seedlings in the ground end to get taken by slugs.
I treat both as perennials so don't worry about timing. I sow April-May
but whether that's the best time I haven't a clue!

I don't transplant until they're at the small plant stage, and sometimes
I simply plant out in small clumps - depends how bored I get.
--
Kay