Old 31-05-2009, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
graham graham is offline

Default Smoking spruce

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Sat, 30 May 2009 13:01:15 -0600, "graham" wrote:

I happened to look out at one of the spruce trees in my front garden
during
a succession of wind gusts and there appeared to be smoke billowing out.
Of course it was just pollen but I'd never seen it like that before.
Graham

One of the smaller halls of residence at Exeter University had an old
and very imposing Blue Cedar (Cedrus atlantica glauca) in the grounds,
and the pollen coming off that when the wind caught it had to be seen
to be believed. It was right at the top of Pennsylvania Road if anyone
knows the area, but that was some forty years ago so it may not be
there now.

A trivial statistic that I learned at uni is that the Scandinavian softwood
forest produces 75,000 tons of pollen every spring. Canada must produce
many times that amount which is another thing to perhaps criticise them
for - they've received a lot of that recently{:-(
Graham