Old 30-05-2009, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Smoking spruce

I happened to look out at one of the spruce trees in my front garden during
a succession of wind gusts and there appeared to be smoke billowing out.
Of course it was just pollen but I'd never seen it like that before.
Graham

Old 30-05-2009, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-30 20:01:15 +0100, "graham" said:

I happened to look out at one of the spruce trees in my front garden during
a succession of wind gusts and there appeared to be smoke billowing out.
Of course it was just pollen but I'd never seen it like that before.
Graham

Plays hell with some peoples' hay fever allergies. It's amazingly
powerful stuff!
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Old 31-05-2009, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I happened to look out at one of the spruce trees in my front garden
during a succession of wind gusts and there appeared to be smoke
billowing out. Of course it was just pollen but I'd never seen it like
that before. Graham

There was a spruce tree in our road (until someone cut it down). During
it's pollen season any cars left outside were covered in the stuff. It was
so bad that you had to wash the windows to be able to drive.

We see the same thing with other conifers, and our pine tree is
particularly 'impressive'. Not much fun for hay fever sufferers

Al.
Old 31-05-2009, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--

It must! I'm hoping the allergy genes from my side are dominant in my
grandchildren!

Old 31-05-2009, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Al" wrote in message
. 4...
I happened to look out at one of the spruce trees in my front garden
during a succession of wind gusts and there appeared to be smoke
billowing out. Of course it was just pollen but I'd never seen it like
that before. Graham

There was a spruce tree in our road (until someone cut it down). During
it's pollen season any cars left outside were covered in the stuff. It was
so bad that you had to wash the windows to be able to drive.

We see the same thing with other conifers, and our pine tree is
particularly 'impressive'. Not much fun for hay fever sufferers

At this time of the year, people phone the gardening progs on the radio
asking what the yellow scum is that appears on puddles after a rain shower
(which we could do with right now). I keep meaning to collect some and make
a microscope slide of it.
I wonder if dandelion pollen is more of a problem for HF sufferers. The
boulevards here are yellow with them.
Graham

Old 31-05-2009, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Sat, 30 May 2009 13:01:15 -0600, "graham" wrote:

I happened to look out at one of the spruce trees in my front garden
during
a succession of wind gusts and there appeared to be smoke billowing out.
Of course it was just pollen but I'd never seen it like that before.
Graham

One of the smaller halls of residence at Exeter University had an old
and very imposing Blue Cedar (Cedrus atlantica glauca) in the grounds,
and the pollen coming off that when the wind caught it had to be seen
to be believed. It was right at the top of Pennsylvania Road if anyone
knows the area, but that was some forty years ago so it may not be
there now.

A trivial statistic that I learned at uni is that the Scandinavian softwood
forest produces 75,000 tons of pollen every spring. Canada must produce
many times that amount which is another thing to perhaps criticise them
for - they've received a lot of that recently{:-(
Graham