Old 01-06-2009, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
TheOldFellow TheOldFellow is offline

Default raised beds methods

On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 16:01:59 +0100
none ""eric\"@(none)" wrote:

I have recently got a back problem and it's permanent. I am thinking
about ways to cope, and one that's been suggested is to use more
intensive methods in raised beds. I'm looking for sources of advice
about this - books, etc. Can anyone help get me started?

The way I make mine, but I admit that I don't have a back problem
usually, is to dig the first spit out and barrow it to a spoil heap.
Then I edge the bed about 18 inches high with boards. Fork over the
bottom to another spit. Add muck, old compost, manure, whatever to
about 6 inches and fork into the base. Return the first spit from the
spoil heap via a coarse (1 inch) riddle adding a little Growmore,
with lime if necessary. Add extra topsoil via riddle to depth.

All the stones from the riddle go on the paths between the beds. A
3 - 6 inch layer of stones with a bit of soil on them settles out to a
fine path in no time.

A lot of work, but they last for at least five or so years as long as
no-one walks on them. A job best done at the end of a dry cold spell in
the early spring.

R.