Old 01-06-2009, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default raised beds methods

I have recently got a back problem and it's permanent. I am thinking
about ways to cope, and one that's been suggested is to use more
intensive methods in raised beds. I'm looking for sources of advice
about this - books, etc. Can anyone help get me started?
Old 01-06-2009, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 16:01:59 +0100, none wrote
(in article ):

I have recently got a back problem and it's permanent. I am thinking
about ways to cope, and one that's been suggested is to use more
intensive methods in raised beds. I'm looking for sources of advice
about this - books, etc. Can anyone help get me started?

Make sure that you can reach across to the middle of the bed from both sides
(ie don't make it too wide). Make the sides from anything you have, or
sleepers (not the tarry ones) or old scaffolding boards. Don't bother to dig
out or over at the bottom of the bed. Cover the bottom with heavy cardboard
(raid your local shops if necessary) and then get some rotted horse manure
into the bottom, and top up with your own compost if you have it, or top
soil. With a back problem (and I have one too) you will obviously need help
to do this.

Remember that the level will sink so be prepared to top up as necessary.
Also, I find the tools made by Wolf Garten very useful in that they have
interchangeable handles (short and long). I use the short handles near at
hand, but can easily switch to the long one for weeding the middle.

You may also find it useful eventually to get some stone round the beds as a
path.

HTH

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Posted through uk.rec.gardening

Old 01-06-2009, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 16:01:59 +0100
none ""eric\"@(none)" wrote:

I have recently got a back problem and it's permanent. I am thinking
about ways to cope, and one that's been suggested is to use more
intensive methods in raised beds. I'm looking for sources of advice
about this - books, etc. Can anyone help get me started?

The way I make mine, but I admit that I don't have a back problem
usually, is to dig the first spit out and barrow it to a spoil heap.
Then I edge the bed about 18 inches high with boards. Fork over the
bottom to another spit. Add muck, old compost, manure, whatever to
about 6 inches and fork into the base. Return the first spit from the
spoil heap via a coarse (1 inch) riddle adding a little Growmore,
with lime if necessary. Add extra topsoil via riddle to depth.

All the stones from the riddle go on the paths between the beds. A
3 - 6 inch layer of stones with a bit of soil on them settles out to a
fine path in no time.

A lot of work, but they last for at least five or so years as long as
no-one walks on them. A job best done at the end of a dry cold spell in
the early spring.

R.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
len len is offline

for the original poster we have pics on our site of how we do our beds
there may be an idea or 2 there for you?

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 16:59:33 +0100, Sally Thompson
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 01-06-2009, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 1, 4:01*pm, none ""eric\"@(none)" wrote:
I have recently got a back problem and it's permanent. *I am thinking
about ways to cope, and one that's been suggested is to use more
intensive methods in raised beds. *I'm looking for sources of advice
about this - books, etc. *Can anyone help get me started?

I think you will find the effort involved in creating your raised beds
well worthwhile. I have made mine higher than most (3 feet) as I
cannot reach ground level. I echo Sally's advice about making sure you
can easily reach the middle and would add that you should make sure
you have a sound path all the way round. It has made life so much
easier that I wonder why I didn't make some raised beds when I was
able bodied! If I can get suitable materials and a little help with
the labour I shall certainly make some more next year.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

none wrote:
Thanks for your helpful advice. I have a general idea how to set up the

beds, but not so sure about how best to use them. For instance, I
expect I'll make them smallish and square, like islands in an area of
gravel, and try to plant closer than normal; that in turn probably means
I need to feed them more than normal.
It's this that concerns me at the moment - trying to adjust my thinking
about how to use the space I've got. I want to know what I'm doing
before I do it, since it will be a major shift in my approach.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:29 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally Thompson[_3_] View Post
[...]

I cant offer any advice but I can say that i had raised beds put in about 5 years ago using the bricks from an old shed my sister knocked down which have now really aged and add character- it is only about 2 ft wide 10" high I planted perrenials, and any gaps I throw seeds like antirinnams btween because I like lots of colour, gardening is an absolute pleasure i just sit on the wall and weed, etc. some light music and the water feature, total relaxation and no bending I highly recommend it. I did the same at the front of the house up each side of the path. I will say though if you use bricks my son-law being a dampcourse technician did put a plastic sheet inside to protect the bricks.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:52 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by none View Post
none wrote:
Thanks for your helpful advice. I have a general idea how to set up the

beds, but not so sure about how best to use them. For instance, I
expect I'll make them smallish and square, like islands in an area of
gravel, and try to plant closer than normal; that in turn probably means
I need to feed them more than normal.
It's this that concerns me at the moment - trying to adjust my thinking
about how to use the space I've got. I want to know what I'm doing
before I do it, since it will be a major shift in my approach.
I have found the easiest way to build raised beds is to use breeze blocks 9" x 18" x 4" thick . They vary in price from about 52p to 65p each. They can be placed upright on end or on their sides, but I prefer to lay them flat and build up like a wall. No cement needed. A major advantage is that if you don't like the shape you can change it. The wall is also wide enough to use for container growing. You can also gradually increase the height to whatever suits you best. The blocks are long lasting and mellow with age. There are ways to speed up that process. Financially they work out at about a third of the price of any wooden ones you may see advertised.

Bigal