Old 02-06-2009, 08:29 PM
tizfreespirit tizfreespirit is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally Thompson[_3_] View Post
On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 16:01:59 +0100, none wrote
(in article ):

I have recently got a back problem and it's permanent. I am thinking
about ways to cope, and one that's been suggested is to use more
intensive methods in raised beds. I'm looking for sources of advice
about this - books, etc. Can anyone help get me started?

Make sure that you can reach across to the middle of the bed from both sides
(ie don't make it too wide). Make the sides from anything you have, or
sleepers (not the tarry ones) or old scaffolding boards. Don't bother to dig
out or over at the bottom of the bed. Cover the bottom with heavy cardboard
(raid your local shops if necessary) and then get some rotted horse manure
into the bottom, and top up with your own compost if you have it, or top
soil. With a back problem (and I have one too) you will obviously need help
to do this.

Remember that the level will sink so be prepared to top up as necessary.
Also, I find the tools made by Wolf Garten very useful in that they have
interchangeable handles (short and long). I use the short handles near at
hand, but can easily switch to the long one for weeding the middle.

You may also find it useful eventually to get some stone round the beds as a
path.

HTH

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Posted through uk.rec.gardening

I cant offer any advice but I can say that i had raised beds put in about 5 years ago using the bricks from an old shed my sister knocked down which have now really aged and add character- it is only about 2 ft wide 10" high I planted perrenials, and any gaps I throw seeds like antirinnams btween because I like lots of colour, gardening is an absolute pleasure i just sit on the wall and weed, etc. some light music and the water feature, total relaxation and no bending I highly recommend it. I did the same at the front of the house up each side of the path. I will say though if you use bricks my son-law being a dampcourse technician did put a plastic sheet inside to protect the bricks.