Old 03-06-2009, 04:06 AM posted to rec.gardens
Zootal[_4_] Zootal[_4_] is offline

Default hornworms on tomato plants

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 17:44:26 -0500, wrote:

Is there an easy way to get rid of hornworms on my tomato plants? I
am a new gardener. I found one yesterday and one today, theya are
hard to see and there are probably more.

I googled and found Bonide Bt Thuricide but was wondering if there is
another 'home' solution.

Thanks!

It is easy to handpick them off. If you see any with wasp eggs on
their back, let it alone. The wasps' larvae feed on the hornworms.
Checking for leaf damage will help locate the worms. One or two
worms won't kill your plants. If you can avoid using an insecticide,
all the better for the pollinating insects and beneficial spiders. One
companion plant for tomato is basil; it just so happens basil and
tomatoes taste good together, and the basil repels the tomato
hornworm.

Dang...I wish now I would have planted basil with my toms...I love both of
them...maybe I'll scatter some seeds in the general area and see what comes
up