Old 03-06-2009, 03:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
Zootal[_4_] Zootal[_4_] is offline

Default hornworms on tomato plants

"enigma" wrote in message
"Zootal" wrote in
:

I'm not quite that brave. Tomatoe plants are poisonous, and I'm
not sure I want to eat something that eats them. Actually, it
doesn't matter what they eat...just the thought of stir fried
THWs...ewww...

i wouldn't eat hornworms that have been feeding on tomato plants.
i've seen toads die from eating them & i would guess that it is
because of the toxins from the tomato leaves. hownworms that have
been eating ash or oak leaves are not toxic to toads.
BTW, it was a pretty quick death. less than 5 minutes from ingesting
the hornworm.
lee

Does cooking destroy the toxin?