Old 03-06-2009, 03:24 PM posted to rec.gardens
Zootal[_4_] Zootal[_4_] is offline

Default hornworms on tomato plants

Charlie wrote in message
On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 20:07:00 -0700, "Zootal"
spuked forth:

Charlie wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 17:44:26 -0500, spuked forth:

Is there an easy way to get rid of hornworms on my tomato plants? I
am a new gardener. I found one yesterday and one today, theya are
hard to see and there are probably more.

I googled and found Bonide Bt Thuricide but was wondering if there is
another 'home' solution.

Thanks!

I've read that they are a good compliment to fried green tomatoes, but
must be very gently cooked in order that they don't rupture. I'm
still working up my nerve for that one.

So, my recommendation is hand picking. I've also seen cardinals doing
a big number on the small ones.

Charlie

I'm not quite that brave. Tomatoe plants are poisonous, and I'm not sure I
want to eat something that eats them. Actually, it doesn't matter what
they
eat...just the thought of stir fried THWs...ewww...

Enjoy! ;-)

http://bertc.com/subfive/recipes/hornworms.htm

Charlie

Tnx for the link - I forwarded it to my son - he is quite experimental when
it comes to eating things that crawl, creep, slither, etc. I expect he will
be quite interested in this one too (shudder...)