Old 03-06-2009, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gordon H[_3_] Gordon H[_3_] is offline

Default Cuttings

In message , Jeff Layman
writes
Charlie Pridham wrote:

The drainage and air supply are better at the pots edge.

That was the reason given on Gardeners World this week.

I wonder if this is an old gardening chestnut. If the drainage of a clay
pot is better at the edge, I would expect it to dry out more readily there
too. Conversely, a plastic pot is less likely to dry out at the edge than
anywhere else in the pot, thus preserving any water in the cutting medium
for a longer time. I'm not sure if the OP is referring to geranium or any
cuttings. Geranium cuttings are pretty drought resistant, and would
theoretically do better in a drier cuttings medium. On the other hand,
drought sensitive plants such as fuschias might not like this "dry"
treatment.

I place cuttings near the edge of the pot in the hope that their roots
will develop nicely without becoming intertwined.
Seems like a good enough reason to me.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply