Old 01-06-2009, 11:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cuttings

Why when taking a few cuttings are they placed at the side of the clay pots
as opposed to the middle of the pot?

Is there such thing as a annual geranium, or all they all perennial?

Thanks

Old 02-06-2009, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...
Why when taking a few cuttings are they placed at the side of the clay
pots
as opposed to the middle of the pot?

Is there such thing as a annual geranium, or all they all perennial?

Thanks

The drainage and air supply are better at the pots edge.

There are indeed annual Geraniums and annual pelargoniums
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Thanks for that. I asked a lady at our local garden centre and she stated
there are only perennial geraniums and there is no such thing is an annual
geranium.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article ,

says...
Why when taking a few cuttings are they placed at the side of the clay
pots
as opposed to the middle of the pot?

Is there such thing as a annual geranium, or all they all perennial?

Thanks

The drainage and air supply are better at the pots edge.

There are indeed annual Geraniums and annual pelargoniums
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

Thanks for that. I asked a lady at our local garden centre and she stated
there are only perennial geraniums and there is no such thing is an annual
geranium.

There are lots of annuals including a large number that are uk native
plants Geranium rotundifolium, Geranium columbinum, Geranium dissctum, G.
molle, G. lucidium, Herb Robert is a well know plant G. robertianum,
Geranium purpureum, and I have probably missed a few!
Ones that are worth having in the garden are Granium bohemicum as much
for its black seeds as the cobalt blue flowers, the white forms of herb
robert and I am very fond of Geranium rotundifolium not for the flowers
but when the plant has flowered the whole thing goes fiery red.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Charlie
Pridham writes
In article ,
says...

[...]

If we are charitable the lady meant pelargoniums, and as far as I know
there are no annual pelargoniums (as opposed to pelargoniums treated
horticulturally as half-hardy annuals, such as the seed-raised bedding
geraniums).
--
alias Ernest Major

Old 03-06-2009, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3 June, 11:27, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message , Charlie
Pridham writes

In article ,
says...

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
. NET...
In article ,
says...
[...]

My Garden is awash with cranesbill geraniums....Very pretty but they
do have a habit of seeding themselves willy nilly all over the place

Old 03-06-2009, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Jeff Layman
writes
Charlie Pridham wrote:

The drainage and air supply are better at the pots edge.

That was the reason given on Gardeners World this week.

I wonder if this is an old gardening chestnut. If the drainage of a clay
pot is better at the edge, I would expect it to dry out more readily there
too. Conversely, a plastic pot is less likely to dry out at the edge than
anywhere else in the pot, thus preserving any water in the cutting medium
for a longer time. I'm not sure if the OP is referring to geranium or any
cuttings. Geranium cuttings are pretty drought resistant, and would
theoretically do better in a drier cuttings medium. On the other hand,
drought sensitive plants such as fuschias might not like this "dry"
treatment.

I place cuttings near the edge of the pot in the hope that their roots
will develop nicely without becoming intertwined.
Seems like a good enough reason to me.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 03-06-2009, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Samantha Booth" wrote in message
Why when taking a few cuttings are they placed at the side of the clay
pots as opposed to the middle of the pot?

Is there such thing as a annual geranium, or all they all perennial?

Thanks

Thank you all, you are a great help.

Rock elm cuttings no go, but sour cherry cuttings are going [email protected] Plant Science 0 15-08-2008 07:15 AM
[IBC] Suckers as cuttings Neal Ross Bonsai 2 13-02-2003 02:55 AM
succulent cuttings Iris Cohen Gardening 1 10-02-2003 09:25 AM
cactus cuttings flavrcntry Gardening 2 09-02-2003 03:36 PM
Cuttings, and trading roses Suzanne in CA Roses 3 09-02-2003 08:01 AM