Old 04-06-2009, 08:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default Billy - organic vs non-organic info needed

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

http://www.organicauthority.com/orga...articles/decli
ning-nutritional-value-of-produce-due-to-high-yield-selective-seed-breedi
ng.html

Bill always seems to do this more elegantly than I do. He is the carrot
to my stick I'm afraid. Thanks Bill ;O)

In the above article it states: "An amazing two-thirds (2/3) of American
calories, on average come from depleted, man-made sources such as
purified sugars, added fats and oils, white flour, white rice, and
distilled liquor,˛ Davis said. łAll of these items have suffered much
deeper and broader nutrient losses than the nutrient declines we and
others report in vegetables and fruits.˛

Processed foods are produced from our subsidized commodity crops, i.e.
corn, soy beans, and wheat. These commodity crops produce 150% of the
needed caloric intake for each man, woman, and child in the United
States. What do we do with it? In 2004, the food, beverage, candy, and
restaurant advertising expenditures weighed in at $11.26 billion, versus
$9.55 million to promote healthful eating. Remember that these foods are
mostly highly processed white flour, soy bean oil, and corn syrup. If
they put any nutrients back in to the product, it is called "enriched".

If we had single-payer national health care, there would be pressure on
the U.S. Farm Bill to promote healthier foods, and reduce the toxics in
our environment in order to lower health costs. Mandating health care
just makes the insurance companies rich. We need universal, single
payer, health care. Just like Congress has. Just like the President has.
--

- Billy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En2TzBE0lp4