Old 04-06-2009, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Too many strawberries

Broadback wrote:

My Father (unlike me) did not believe in freezing, he always thought
that a good gardener should always have fresh veg available, also that
they tasted much better when you only ate them in season and not all the
year round. I must say he had a point. Anyway stop boasting, my
strawberries are nowhere near ready here in North Staffordshire. :-(

I can see why out of season fruit and veg is so successful in
supermarkets. However much one likes a particular fruit or veg, there is
nothing like a glut with little other choice to put people off it. I
swear one day when I suggest "cabbage for dinner?" the wife will beat me
around the head with one.

Over the years I'm getting more experienced growing a wide variety of
veg so there is always something to eat whatever the time of year. Even
so a wider variety would be better. I grew Swiss chard last year for the
first time - that proved very successful and quite pest resistant.
Excellent for stir fries and in cheese sauce served with pasta dishes.

Not all experiments have been so successful. Root crops tend to be
problematic in that they are so slow to germinate from seed that they
are overrun by weed seedlings.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.