Old 04-06-2009, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Too many strawberries

I'm getting sick of the sight of strawberries. As much as I like them,
strawberries for dessert every day is too much. Time to make some
strawberry jam.

Even our black Labrador has started turning them down - and he eats
anything!

At least the asparagus season is finished - they made a change from the
endless supply of Spring cabbage. Looks like there will be a glut of
garden peas shortly - the first pods are forming. Then there will be a
deluge of runner beans. Our freezers usually end up full by the end of
July. Shouldn't complain though, I do like harvesting the fresh veg from
my garden. The new potatoes are nice too with a sprig of mint and
broccoli with a side portion of fried courgettes.

Ah the joys of veg gardening. :-)
--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-04 16:48:07 +0100, David in Normandy
said:

I'm getting sick of the sight of strawberries. As much as I like them,
strawberries for dessert every day is too much. Time to make some
strawberry jam.

Apparently sales of strawberries are down this year. I can't help
wondering if it's because people can buy them all year round now and
have forgotten what really fresh, English grown berries are like.
snip

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

Old 04-06-2009, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-04 16:48:07 +0100, David in Normandy
said:

I'm getting sick of the sight of strawberries. As much as I like them,
strawberries for dessert every day is too much. Time to make some
strawberry jam.

Apparently sales of strawberries are down this year. I can't help
wondering if it's because people can buy them all year round now and
have forgotten what really fresh, English grown berries are like.
snip

My Father (unlike me) did not believe in freezing, he always thought
that a good gardener should always have fresh veg available, also that
they tasted much better when you only ate them in season and not all the
year round. I must say he had a point. Anyway stop boasting, my
strawberries are nowhere near ready here in North Staffordshire. :-(

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
I'm getting sick of the sight of strawberries. As much as I like them,
strawberries for dessert every day is too much. Time to make some
strawberry jam.

*weeps*

Now you're just saying that to make me jealous..

*weeps*

;-)

Old 04-06-2009, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wafflycat wrote:

*weeps*

Now you're just saying that to make me jealous..

*weeps*

;-)

It seems to be a bumper year for them. The Mrs planted too many runners
so we've got a glut of them. The weather here in Normandy has been
really hot and sunny the last few weeks, ideal for the garden. Could do
with some rain though, I had to get the pump out the other evening and
water everything.

The temptation with an "unlimited" size veg garden is to grow too much
of everything, so a lot goes to waste - sort of - excess cabbages etc
end up in the compost when they run to seed.

I just wish the birds would leave the cherries alone. We've got a couple
of trees and they always scoff the lot before they are ripe.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:

We are suffering from the same problem in South Holland.

The Mrs surprised me for dessert today - strawberries in batter with a
little treacle. Very nice - highly recommended for the strawberry weary ;-)

Old 04-06-2009, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote:

My Father (unlike me) did not believe in freezing, he always thought
that a good gardener should always have fresh veg available, also that
they tasted much better when you only ate them in season and not all the
year round. I must say he had a point. Anyway stop boasting, my
strawberries are nowhere near ready here in North Staffordshire. :-(

I can see why out of season fruit and veg is so successful in
supermarkets. However much one likes a particular fruit or veg, there is
nothing like a glut with little other choice to put people off it. I
swear one day when I suggest "cabbage for dinner?" the wife will beat me
around the head with one.

Over the years I'm getting more experienced growing a wide variety of
veg so there is always something to eat whatever the time of year. Even
so a wider variety would be better. I grew Swiss chard last year for the
first time - that proved very successful and quite pest resistant.
Excellent for stir fries and in cheese sauce served with pasta dishes.

Not all experiments have been so successful. Root crops tend to be
problematic in that they are so slow to germinate from seed that they
are overrun by weed seedlings.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
I'm getting sick of the sight of strawberries. As much as I like them,
strawberries for dessert every day is too much.

Try mixing chopped strawberries with chopped avocado flesh. It used to be a
staple on the buffet in the local Chamber of Commerce dining room.
Graham

Old 04-06-2009, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from David in Normandy contains these words:

I'm getting sick of the sight of strawberries.

LOL. I used to pick on a strawberry farm where all the pickers "lived
in" for the season. On the first day, the owner told us to eat as many
as we liked as we worked.
That evening, he brought trays more perfect fruit to the barn where we
camped and told us to pig out; we did. Same again the next night.

.. By the end of the first week, we'd all stopped eating his crop.

As much as I like them,
strawberries for dessert every day is too much. Time to make some
strawberry jam.

When we grew a lot, I used to mash some with sugar and freeze the
pulp; a great sauce for icecream
or victoria sponge.

If you have rhubarb, it combines well with strawberries in crumble or pie.

Then there's summer pudding. If the rest of the red fruit is not yet
ready, just freeze some strawberries until then (makes no difference to
the finished result in SP.)

Strawberry smoothie drink: plain yoghurt, strawbs, icecubes, juice
of an orange; liquidize.

Fab easy pudding for dinner party; liquidize fresh raspberries with a
little icing sugar and kirsch; use as a pouring sauce over strawberries.

Strawberry cake or muffins; make a 6/6/3 sponge mixture and stir in
chopped raw strawbs. Bake. Mash some more strawbs and drool them over
the top.

Janet.

Thanks for the suggestions. :-)

Old 04-06-2009, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message

Puree them, then add red wine....

Old 04-06-2009, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David in Normandy wrote in

The Mrs surprised me for dessert today - strawberries in batter with a
little treacle. Very nice - highly recommended for the strawberry
weary ;-)

My Mr. likes them with a touch of sugar and a spritz of lemon. :-)

=.=.=..=
Begoluna
=.=.=.==