Old 04-06-2009, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Too many strawberries

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from David in Normandy contains these words:

I'm getting sick of the sight of strawberries.

LOL. I used to pick on a strawberry farm where all the pickers "lived
in" for the season. On the first day, the owner told us to eat as many
as we liked as we worked.
That evening, he brought trays more perfect fruit to the barn where we
camped and told us to pig out; we did. Same again the next night.

.. By the end of the first week, we'd all stopped eating his crop.

As much as I like them,
strawberries for dessert every day is too much. Time to make some
strawberry jam.

When we grew a lot, I used to mash some with sugar and freeze the
pulp; a great sauce for icecream
or victoria sponge.

If you have rhubarb, it combines well with strawberries in crumble or pie.

Then there's summer pudding. If the rest of the red fruit is not yet
ready, just freeze some strawberries until then (makes no difference to
the finished result in SP.)

Strawberry smoothie drink: plain yoghurt, strawbs, icecubes, juice
of an orange; liquidize.

Fab easy pudding for dinner party; liquidize fresh raspberries with a
little icing sugar and kirsch; use as a pouring sauce over strawberries.

Strawberry cake or muffins; make a 6/6/3 sponge mixture and stir in
chopped raw strawbs. Bake. Mash some more strawbs and drool them over
the top.

Janet.

Thanks for the suggestions. :-)

--